Chapter 3

"I'm starting to regret my decision to stay here," Lena says one night over the phone. Kara's sitting on her porch looking at the stars, wishing she could just get lost between them. "I think I'll try to finish out the week before reconsidering your offer." Lena continues.
"That's great!" She means it, but she's also distracted tonight.
"I think I just need to go into town, is there anything going on?"
Kara lists some things to do, but she seems a little far away.
"Hey Kara is everything alright? You're being kind of quiet." Usually Kara always has something to say around Lena.
"I don't know, I guess just feel kinda stuck."
"Stuck?"
"Yeah my dad wants me to take over the ranch one day... and that's just not what I pictured for myself you know? I've never really told anyone this but, I've always enjoyed writing... I think I want to be a journalist." She says confidence wavering slightly. "The only reason I'm still here is..." She trails off and the line is quite for a few moments.
"The only reason?" Lena prompts.
"I love my dad don't get me wrong, but he's a little overprotective sometimes. So I'm here to... pacify him? And so that Alex can go to school and.. be herself.. but now I can't be myself." Something about the way she says 'be myself' tells Lena that she means something more than just her chosen profession. And it's an all too familiar feeling to Lena.
"I've been pressured into the family business too, though fortunately I got to 'be myself' at boarding school." Kara's breath catches and she knows Lena's caught on to her implications. She can't help but smile.
"I just don't know how to tell him," she's starting to get choked up.
"Hey, if your parents are anything like how I remember them, they'll support you." Kara let's out a small sigh of relief, deep down she knows Lena's right, but that doesn't mean she's not scared.
"Hey did you hear about the new shop we're getting in town?" Kara abruptly changes the subject. Lena's a little worried that she said something wrong, but the fact that Kara hasn't hung up yet is reassuring.