Eleven - Awakening

A few weeks have passed - The year 849

Levi and I hardly spoke to each other for what seemed like a long time after our argument, only engaging with each other when we absolutely had to. Although I was angry for a short while afterwards, I now almost felt bad about our spat, looking back on it I suppose I misinterpreted his conversation with Hanji and I was wrong for eavesdropping anyway.

But, I couldn't muster up the courage or patience to apologise, so I just left things the way they were.

Days passed, and days turned into weeks. Before I knew it, it was the night before my first ever expedition beyond the walls. The day I had been dreaming of was finally upon me, so why, when I should have been so nervous and excited and so many other things, could I not stop thinking about Levi Ackerman?

"Get out of my head" I growled as I whacked my own forehead.

"You alright?" Petra asked, perplexed. "Pre-expedition nerves or something"

"Yeah, I guess" I scowled. "Are you nervous?"

"A little" Petra replied. "You never really get used to it, no matter how many times you do it, the Titans don't get any less terrifying"

"Noted"

"We should probably get some rest" my friend pointed out. "You don't want to be falling asleep on your horse tomorrow"

"Yeah, you're right" I sighed. "But I think I'm going to go for a walk first, shake off my nerves"

"Don't be long then" Petra smiled.

"I won't"

I shut the door behind me as I walked out into the night air. It was a humid evening, and clouds littered the sky. I could only see a few stars shining through the murk, and the rest was a greyish black blur.

I decided to walk into the small forest near the barracks, and I had eventually reached the clearing that Levi had shown me months prior.

I shouldn't have been, but for some reason I was surprised to see Levi sitting there, staring into the sky.

He instantly sensed my presence and looked over at me, his eyes widening a fraction.

"Sophia" he said.

"Sorry" I looked at my feet before beginning to turn around. "I'll go"

"No" Levi called out.

I turned to look at him.

"Stay"

"I...uh-"

Oh for gods sake Sophia! Just sit down!

I went and sat down next to Levi, not too close, but close enough so that I could feel the heat his body was emitting. I could smell him from that distance too, he smelt nice, like cedar wood and black tea.

"I-" The captain started to say.

"Don't apologise" I interrupted him. "It's me who should be saying sorry. I overreacted and I was rude"

I sighed a deep sigh of relief. I had finally been able to speak the words that had been weighing down on me for weeks. It felt good.

"I never once thought you were dead weight, you know" Levi admitted.

"I think I realise that now" I replied, looking up into the cloudy sky.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" he asked.

"I think so" I said quietly. "I think I'm more nervous that the world beyond the wall won't be what I expected, to be honest"

Levi chuckled, and my head snapped towards him, almost in shock. It was the first time I'd ever heard him laugh. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a beautiful sound.