Chapter 1

First of all, I'm back with another story so thank you for clicking on it. It will be fairly long but I'd like to say interesting and hope it won't get boring hope you enjoy...

"Brennan it's okay we'll get through this!" I say hesitantly. "Lexi I'm scared, what if we get split up?" Brennan says back in a pained tone and I sigh "I won't let that happen" I reply no where near confidently. "Lexanni Calvert please step forward," the carehome worker bellows, I let go of my brothers hand and step forward gulping. I smile as sweetly as I can in hope the family in front of me take to my warm personality and adopt me and my brother. "This is Lexanni Calvert, age 12, English, fairly confident and protective" the worker announces and the young couple in front of me smile and look at each other. I am ordered to step back and as I do I touch Brennan's hand in reassurance. "Brennan Calvert please step forward." He slowly trails forward as the worker begins to read his file, similar to mine, "this is Brennan, Lexanni's sister, 9 years old, he's shy but hard working" the couple exchange a smile again and whisper something to each other and look over at the worker "I think this ones a winner" the small woman with ginger hair says excitedly, Brennan turns around to look at me, I swallow hard and say "if you take him you take me," I put my arm round him and he nods in agreement and cuddles into my side "Lexanni please step back immediately" the worker snaps "I can't leave my brother I'm sorry" I say firmly. We had been put into care for as long as I remember and I promised my brother we would never loose each other, I wasn't about to break that promise. "I'm so sorry about this, we'll have Brennan ready for you in a few short minutes would you like to wait outside?" The worker says getting visibly frustrated. My brother was my anchor I'd go crazy without him on this place. It's not even like people had visits with new family's everyone was happy to escape this place as soon as they could and to be honest the staff was happy to see the back of the children on their care.

My arm is suddenly tugged from behind and I'm ripped away from Brennan "lexi, lex don't let them take me! Please" he screams as he is also being dragged out the door "I'll find you B! Don't worry, I love you" I says through raspy breaths before a dirty hand is placed over my mouth and I'm taken out the back towards the cellar, id only been their once and I never wanted to return, I regretted taking that girls crayon ever since. I hit the cold hard ground with a thud and I cry out for my brother or anyone who was listening but that was it. The key in the door locked and I wouldn't see daylight for atleast 2 days! I cry myself to sleep getting as comfortable as possible on the concrete ground.

I woke up I don't know how much later, "Lexi?" I hear and I rub my eyes "Brennan?" I question and I hug the small figure in front of me "what happened to the scary people who were going to take you away?" I question patting the dust out of his short brown hair "I kicked and screamed and then I was pushed over and brought down here, I was told no one would want either of us after today" he says his eyes welling with tears. We have had many sleepless nights over worrying that no one would pick us like the nasty sweets in the bottom of the sweet jar. I try to make him feel better but he's still crying, I hate seeing him sad. He leans into me and and I wipe my eyes with my dirty blue shirt until we fall asleep on empty stomachs and under the presence of a few rats and mice.

Thank you for reading the first chapter hope you enjoyed.