PROLOGUE

"When are we reaching home, dad?" my twin brother asks. 

"Soon. You need to have more patience, Blake", my father replied, annoyed. Blake and I resume our petty arguments. finally, he loses it and screams," No! Skyler, peanut-butter and Nutella are the worst combination possible." " Don't you fucking judge me!"

That attracted my mom's attention," Language Skyler! You are grounded for a week. I am letting you off easy because it is your birthday. "

Yep. It's our fourteenth birthday. We kept it simple, dinner at our favorite restaurant. It is a kind of tradition for us to go there every year. 

Suddenly, my dad's phone rings. He reaches out for it only to be stopped by my mother. "John, no phone calls while driving." 

"Maryse, it is important. Scratch that it is extremely important. You know how things are tense at work. Please just once."

"Okay, let me take it", my father resigns and my mom answers the phone. "Hello? How can I help you?" As the other person speaks, the color fades off my mom's face. "WHAT?! NO!!! THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING", my dad cuts in. "What's wrong?"

"They are shutting down the company with zero compensation."

"What?!", my dad, my twin and I say in unison. My dad stares at my mom. It was as if he has gone into a trance.

I see a truck coming towards us at an alarming speed. I'm sure it is a few seconds away from crashing into us. I quickly try to warn my dad, but I'm too late. 

We're suddenly flying in the air. Spinning, to be precise. My head hits the roof of the car and I see the fire starting off. The car is now lying on my mom's side. She is bleeding excessively, I turn to see Blake unconscious beside his head is bleeding badly.

With all the energy I have, I call 911 and the only words I am able to get out are "Save... us... accident... fire." And I slip into the darkness.