The Black Note

Astley's P.O.V.:

Get your butt down here! I yelled to Noah impatiently through our mind link and trudged down the stairs.

"Good morning, mom," I gave the woman at the oven a kiss on the head and grabbed a warm muffin from the woven basket on the counter, "Where's dad?"

She smiled as I kissed her and bent down to retrieve the rest of the muffins, "Jeff's in his office waiting for the meeting." Assigning the basket with the bacon and eggs, she glanced behind me, "Where's your brother? He should be down by now."

I swallowed the rest of my breakfast and ran a hand through my hair irritably, "I tried to get him down, mom."

She wiped her hands on her floral print apron with a worried look on her face, "He's the Beta. He ought to take more responsibility."

My head snapped up at the sound of footsteps descending down the stairs and Noah appeared a few seconds later, "Sorry, I had a late night last night." He rubbed his drooping eyes.

"Oh! You and your late nights!" Rene waved her hand dismissively.

"But mom! I did!" Noah looked at her incredulously, and turned to me. I have to tell you something. About last night, there was a sound outside. At first, I assumed it was just a member of our pack. But when I went to check, the scent didn't belong to any of us.

My eyes widened. Wylie. "Let's get going, Noah," I said and threw him a muffin.

As soon as we were out of the kitchen and out of earshot of our mother, I whirled to him, "Why didn't you come get me? It could have been a member of Nicholas's or-or a rogue. Wylie could've been in danger!" I fumed angrily.

He cowered under my alpha tone, "Astley, I did. I tried to but I couldn't," he looked away, "You-you were blocked from me. I don't know exactly what you were doing but you were pretty busy and I couldn't break through your barriers."

Realization hit me and I couldn't help but flush a little, "Did you send anyone after it?" I shook my head, "Noah, being Beta, you should know-"

"I did! I sent a group of 7 trackers after the scent, but I haven't gotten anything yet."

I began to relax, "Good. We can check on them later after the meeting and the party. That's when she'll meet the pack."

"You claimed her last night, didn't you?" he asked me as he followed me down the hall to the office where the meeting will be held.

His question was answered by my silence." I could feel it you know. The whole pack knew it once her presence entered our pack link."

Pride roared within me and I was comforted by the idea that she was taken. Taken my ME.

I swung the ex-alpha's office door open and was met with silence. The higher ranked werewolves or those who deserved a place in the meeting stared at me. Some rose their noses into the air, sniffing.

The man at the head table stood up and growled, reclaiming the attention of the crowd, "Good morning, Astley. Noah," he mentioned us to sit beside him.

"Last night, Astley has told me of a Greymoon pack," his eyes searched the room, "Alpha Nicholas... a strong alpha."

I growled annoyed, "He is nothing but a heartless murderer. He sacrificed his own mate for power!" I shook my head, "I will not tolerate a chance of having him anywhere near Wylie or this pack."

Whispers flamed around the room and my father gave me a look, "Quiet!"

The noise of the room deceased and he raised his voice, "It is true that our alpha has found his mate. Now Astley," he gave me a look before he sat down.