Chapter Two Valentines and Memories

Valentines day was nearing, and my best friend was already on my case about getting a boyfriend, "Xander, for the last time, he doesn't like me so no!" I'd hated Valentines day wince 5th grade.  I had the biggest crush on the 'bad boy' in my school, James. His best friend was assigned to sit next to me and we were watching some movie to which I hardly paid any mind.  James' friend looked over at me, "Want me to ask him out for you?" He asked quietly. He was a nice enough guy so I reluctantly agreed. 

                     After what seemed like forever, James looked at me, "Yeah. I'll be your boyfriend," My heart sped up and a smile was clearly visable on my face. Me, being the awkward being that I am, I said "I'm glad,"

Then a smirk hit his lips, "Sorry we're over,"

I nodded, "Figured,"

I tried to act as if I felt nothing, as if his words were expected, but somehow, the pained look wouldn't leave my face. He was the first guy I really ever liked-- my first boyfriend, and it was a joke. Maybe that's why I'm so shy now. Maybe that's why I can't stand anything to do with Valentines day, no matter what happens. 

                  Xander continuously bugged me throughout the day about asking Luke if he would be mine for Valentines day but I was shy and he was confident. I wasn't popular and neither was he, but we both hung out with different crowds. We were completely different. We didn't match, "You're yin and yang!" Xander shouted with a grin, "So romantic!" I rolled my grey-blues and let out a small laugh, "Since when are you the Cupid in this friendship?" I asked amused. 

                     Xander shrugged, "Ever since you refuse to ask him out even though he's obviously falling hard!" I gave him a look that had disbelief written all over it. Why on earth would Luke McCall of all people like me? I wouldn't believe Xander until Luke told me to my face, which we all knew wasn't happening any time soon. 

                       I turned around in my desk and wandered over to turn in my essay I'd just finished. As I whirled around to return to my seat, I slamed into someone's chest, not budging them at all. Whoever it was had gently grabbed the sides of my arms so I didn't fall. As I looked up, I knew who it was. Luke. He dropped his hands quickly and I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks, "Uh, sorry," I murmered quickly before going back to my desk and staring straight ahead.

                          "I saw that," Xander's voice piped in. I refused to turn around until my cheeks returned to their normal color, so he poked my side, "Answer me Annie," I rolled my eyes and faced him, "Firstly, it's Anabelle, not Annie. Secondly, that was the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to me," He let out a booming laugh, "Oh please, you loved it," I sighed in defeat, "Maybe I did..." I admitted. 

                                  It was my real life cliche, or atleast that's how Xander put it. A grin sread across his face as Siera walked up, "Hey Sierra! Annabelle just hit Luke," My eyes widened, "That is not what happened!" I lowered my voice, "That's not what happened," I repeated before slowly explaining what events had just occourred. Siera gave me an interested look, "Seriously?" She remarked. I'd always wanted something like this to happen and now I wasn't drawing much attention to it. 

                                    I was trying to forget it honestly. The humiliation was still lingering in the air as we spoke. Just the thought of Luke stole my breath like a theif steals gold. My heartbeat rapidly increased as he strode past us, giving me a short, quick, glance. He must've been embarrassed by  the incident as well, because his face was a bit red as he turned to face away from me.

                                     Siera nudged my shoulder and winked, "Looks like he likes you," I rolled my eyes, "Right," I replied, my voice dripping with sarcasm. Siera studied me with her light hazel eyes and spoke, "I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're really that oblivious," I turned my gaze to her, "What are you talking about?" Her mouth hung slightly open, "You're serious? You really can't tell?" I shook my head, indicating a no. In all honesty, at the time, I had no clue what she was on about.

                                      Suddenly there was silence. That kind of silence that makes you think that everone heard what you said and was now listening. This was the silence I heard quite often. Someone would usually break the silence by yelling, "It got quiet!" But now, all was silent. I looked around the room, but no one's eyes were on us. It was as if all of the beings in the room had become, somehow, frozen in time.

                                       The only thing that dared to tear apart the silence was the evening bell, causing an uproar of teens scrambling to collect their belongings. I slung my baby blue and white plaid backpack over my shoulder and left my two closest friends standing in the nearly deserted classroom. I stepped onto a crowded bus 24, followed by another of the closest friends I had, Nevaeh.

                                      I saw a sixth grader about to sit in the only empty seat left and dove into it. He sat down just as I got there and hit my back, so I shoved him off. It's not that bad really, he'd done worse to others on the bus before. Nevaeh sat beside me, her mid- length brown hair flowing behind her. We looked like complete oposites, she had dark hair, I had blonde, she had green eyes, I had blue. The only similar thing about us was our height.

                                    We we aren't exactly short, but we we aren't tall either. As the large yellow bus pulled into the road, the rambunctious children began screaming, causing a minor headache for yours truly. My frusteration began to show as I stood up, knocking over the few highschool girls who were standing in the isles. Nevaeh and I walked through the doors of my small home and to my room, "You should do your hair more." She stated, grasping my straightener with one hand.