5

Stan's POV:

School wasn't that bad after all. I usually have an easy time making friends. Especially with people I've already known before since you can skip over the awkward getting to know each other part. Therefore reconnecting with Kyle wasn't that hard. Even though we hadn't talked in years, it wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be.

On the second day in South Park, he had already made me burst out in genuine laughter. There was also a new caring side of him that wasn't as prominent in seventh grade. I liked it a lot. It made him a bit feminine and I couldn't help but question his sexuality. Which I instantly regretted doing.

He asked me every morning how I had slept that night and I loved that he genuinely cared about stupid things that nobody else did.

And I felt myself light up and somehow I felt butterflies in my stomach as I thought about the way he leaned against the lockers with a hand in his curly red hair. He was adorable.

Kyle reminded me of Starks pond today which caused me to get a major nostalgia bomb of happy memories. Us being kids and loving the world with an innocence you can only find in hopeful people. He then explained how the pond is starting to get abandoned and that nobody goes there anymore which filled me with sadness and led to me forcing him to go there with me. So we revisited it, and here we are. Me, with a cigarette in my hand and smoke from it filling the cold air. And him laying next to me in the snow.

"It's just a cigarette, Kyle", I explain but he doesn't seem to be fully convinced. Instead, he looks disappointed. "You're so fucking stupid, Stan", he says while gazing upon Starks pond.

We finished school around 2 hours ago so it's starting to get a bit darker. Fittingly it's really quiet and empty here.

I take another deep hit from my cigarette and I feel the smoke filling my lungs. Soon the nicotine will kick in. But as the smoke enters my lungs I start to cough. These cigarettes are way stronger than what I'm used to.

"Would you stop that?", Kyle says, getting pretty irritated.

He turns to his side so that he's relying on his arm. He watches the smoke from my mouth. When I don't answer he shakes his head. "You look so dead doing that", I giggle like a child as I cough, once again.

I think it's sweet how he cares about my well-being. I never got this sort of treatment in Brooklyn by my friends. And somehow I've only been in this town for almost 3 days and he's already trying to help me get better with my bad habits. Maybe my parents were right about South Park having better influences.

"How do I look dead?", I turn around, facing Kyle. A smile fills my lips. The fact that someone actually cares makes me happy. So I want to milk it as long as I can.

He rolls his eyes. "Just stop. Please?". I follow his orders and stub out my cigarette. Feeling awkward holding the packing, I hold it up against the sun as I look at it. It's a Marlboro red. Way too strong then I'm used to. 

I can feel Kyle's gaze on me. He grabs the package and throws it over the ice in the pond. I release my hand onto the ground.

I turn to him again. "You ass". I sit up similarly to Kyle and push him playfully so that he almost falls over. As he loses balance he moves closer to me.

The movement causes one of his red locks to fall to his forehead. And I just can't resist but to watch his perfectly formed red lock on his forehead. Unresistingly I move my hand to his forehead and brush the lock back unto the rest of his hair. Kyle starts to get red as I let my hands travel through his hair.
"Did I say that I like your hair?" He nods.
"Because I do", he forms a smile and breaks eye contact with me, as he is embarrassed by my compliments.

The movement of his head causes his hair to fall again. I, once again, brush the free hairs back into the rest of his many.

This time I let my hand slide down to his jaw. Maybe I like to fluster him and to receive a reaction. Maybe I want him to like me, or maybe I want to be rejected so hard that I'll do it this time. Giving up on life, that is.

But, without me being able to process my thoughts I feel his lips against mine as he has leaned in and kissed me without my knowledge. I feel myself freeze as his lips caress mine and my eyes keep getting wider as I realize more and more of what's going on in this situation. And I realize my hand is still on his jaw, my lips are still on his and my eyes are open whilst his are closed.

He pulls back, ashamed. And I'm left in the air alone this time. I feel my head drop a bit as I'm no longer relying on Kyle. And I feel myself wishing his face was against mine again so I could experience it this time.

But he doesn't fulfil my wish. Instead, he's focusing on the snow as he is letting his fingers draw circles and I feel lost in thoughts as I watch him.

Realising my hand is still on his jaw, I take it back. Kyle looks up a bit when I do this. And I realize that some disappointment is hiding in his eyes.

What just happened?

Kyle sits up properly. Knees to his chin, hugging his legs. I'm still on the ground, unable to move. None of us has anything to say. I sit up next to him, trying to put words into a sentence.

As I sit up, I can see my cigarette packeting on the ice. I feel my body craving it like it does whenever I get stressed. I feel selfish thinking about smoking when my old best friend just kissed me, but oh do I want to smoke.

"Shit", I moan at the dissatisfaction of me not being able to smoke. Kyle looks up at me. "I'm so sorry Stan. I don't know what-", he says ashamed. "No, no. Don't be sorry", I interrupt him. "That's... Shit happens.", I say in a desperate way to turn the conversation less awkward.

He shakes his head. "You should be ashamed for throwing away my cigarettes though." I shoulder him. His sarcastic smile makes a comeback. "I can go get them."

-

I wonder what made him do that, I think as I lay down in my warm bed. The day is almost at an end as the clock is almost midnight. The day my best friend decided to kiss me will soon be over, and I'll never experience it again. Soon it'll all be just a vague memory instead of reality. Instead of me having to face whatever happened, it'll just be something I'll probably laugh at.

For every question I ask, the more confused I get. I guess another sleepless night is up.

-
Kyle's POV:

If my parents weren't so strict, I'd scream right now to get all of the frustration out of my system.

It feels like I've been frustrated with myself recently, and this time it's not an exception. Ever since Stan has come back, I keep embarrassing myself. I keep overthinking and overreacting. But this time I'm not overthinking. I actually have something to think about. I did something wrong. Even though Stan said it was fine, it wasn't.

I showed my fat face up against his and forced him to meet my lips with his.

I don't know why I did it. It just kinda seemed right at the moment. It felt like Stan was giving me signals and that he wanted me to kiss him. I don't know what I expected, but somewhere deep inside of me, I wished he'd kiss me back.

But I know the truth. Stan Marsh will never be in love with me.

-