{The Girl in Sweaters}

It was the middle of March when a new girl in striped sweaters transferred to our class. She stood front and center, about to introduce herself. I had to admit, I found her pretty. I guess the whole class did too, judging from their stares.

No. She wasn't exactly the supermodel-type of pretty. She had thick hair and a few blemishes dotted her face, but there's something about her warm smile that I found cute. She said her name, something I could never forget from that day forward. As she was speaking, her eyes met mine. Call me a crazy, but that was enough to make me blush. Ehem, just a little though.

As if the universe was cooperating, the teacher assigned her seat next to mine. She beamed a polite smile at me as she sat down. By that time, my heart was going crazy. Class started and I was surprised when I heard her say, "Hi."

"Hey." My mouth twisted to an awkward grin. I had no idea how to react. "I-I like your sweater."

She looked down at what she's wearing. For a moment I thought I saw her mouth curve down, but maybe that's just me. She looks up, and mumbles a shy thank you. She asked. "What's your name?"

Of course, I answered. Kang Taehyun. She better remember. Someday, everyone will know my name. She didn't need to say her name again, since she already introduced in front, plus I already had it engraved in my mind. Silence enveloped the two of us, before I had to courage to ask. "What made you transfer at this time of the year?"

"Well," she hesitated, but continued anyway. "Mostly, family problems. Oh, and things didn't really go well at my previous school. Since I don't have any friends here yet, I'm really glad that you're the first one."

That day I knew, she meant more than a friend to me. She joined me at lunch, I even introduced her to some of my friends. Somehow, I had the whole class jealous of me. I could hear them whispering about how lucky I was, and they're right. I was lucky.

The next day, I waited for her in class, but it took her a long while to get there. Lessons had already started, but the creak of the door interrupted us. It was her, standing by the door frame, in sweaters again. Although this time, it was pink. She apologised profusely, bowing so many times, but the teacher waved her off and sent her to her seat.

"That was so embarrassing." She managed to give me a small chuckle, before slumping back into her chair.

She learned a lot about me that day. Between the two of us, I was the one who always talked and she would always listen. I guess it would take some time for her to open up, but that's alright.

"I want to become a popular celebrity— or maybe a singer. I mean, have you heard me sing? I sound awesome." I shared. She laughed at my remark. "What about you? What do you want to do ten years from now?"

She put her hand on her chin, adjusting the sleeves of her sweater. "I honestly don't know. I'm just focusing on the now. Who knows? Maybe I won't make it in ten years."

That sent an uncomfortable tension in the air. I mocked a glare at her, but she just laughs it off. During the whole conversation, she would smile, but the smile wasn't like yesterday. It was almost sad. Forced. I don't know. Strange, I thought. I wondered why she was late today, but I shrugged it off. I was almost certain it would never happen again.

Almost.

It continued on the next day, and the next, and the next, and the next. This went on to the point where the teacher would sometimes scold her in front of the whole class. A few even made fun of her. She just bowed her head as always and walked back to her seat from embarrassment.

She looked at me and forced a smile. "Traffic is a bitch."

I narrowed my eyes at her, but she just laughed at my reaction. I didn't like it when she swears, but I could never really control her, especially with that spontaneous personality. Alright, she's always tardy. That's no mystery. However, the surprises didn't stop there.