6

We walked in silence, Aric's grip on my wrist making marks, as it only got tighter. I wanted to ask him to let go, but the look and determination in his eyes threw me off. As I walked, barefoot I felt the familiar pebbles leading to the sand, and waters edge, we were back at the lake. It seemed like such a long time ago. Suddenly my house looked cold and empty. Maybe it was just that the bright warm lights of the town were hard to compare to. Aric suddenly stopped, metres away from our home, and looked me dead in the eyes.

"Eden, look, I'm sorry for everything, I'm not blaming you because really it was all my fault, I brought you here. Whatever happens I'm taking the blame for it"

Aric's eyes changed from anger to sadness, to fear, as we both had no idea what lay in store for us. When we walked back into that house.

"I'm scared"

the words came out of my mouth before I even realised what I had said.

"Why"

Aric gave me a confused look, which puzzled me.

"What do you mean why, we are about to walk in the house. A house were our mother told us to be back three hours ago, and stay at the lake mind you"

It hit me all of a sudden, after this mum was never gonna let us out again. I felt empty, the loud bustling town filled with curiosity and the boys soft brown curls filled up my mind.

"Ok you have a point, but whatever happens, we go through together. Eden, your not alone you never will be, as long as I'm here"

I new Aric was scared of what our mother was capable of, but he gave off a more confident aura, as if he respected our mothers punishments, something I lacked.

I gave him a slight smile, as his hands touched my cheek wiping my salty tears of fear.

We walked, hand in hand. This time Aric's hand wasn't gripped hard around my wrist, this time it was soft, wrapped in mine.

I knew, no matter what punishments were to come, I had Aric.