One: The Beginning

*Kanaka Honua
Wang's Residence

Dylan

I woke up screaming again. And I heard my mom come scrambling inside my room. In an instant, I can feel her warm delicate hands hugging me tight. Reminding me that it is just a dream. That I am safe now. "All is okay now Didi. Nothing can harm you."

I have just been discharged from the hospital. My dad and I have been in an accident. An accident which claimed the life of my dad. We were just going home from our usual father and son date. We were singing Maroon 5 songs when suddenly a truck was traversing our lane. And before I can comprehend what was happening, I heard a loud crash then I felt us spinning. Then darkness.

I regained consciousness in the hospital. My mom said I have been unconscious for over a week. I tried to move but I feel sharp pains all over my body. I heard the doctor said that I had head trauma, broken ribs, and my right leg has to be put on a cast. But other than that, I will be fine.

And then I remembered. Dad. I looked at my mom but all I saw were tears streaming down her face. I wanted to ask where's dad. But when I made eye contact with my mom, I couldn't seem to get the words out. She held my hand. Even if no words came out, somehow I understood. I knew. My dad didn't make it.

I wanted to howl in anguish. I wanted to throw things. Yes. My body aches all over. But nothing can equal the pain that I felt in my heart. Dad.... I could only call him in a whisper. How can we continue living without you?

Eventually I learned that my dad maneuvered the car so that the full impact of the crash will be on him. Up to the last moment, the last act of my dad was to save me.

One of the regret I have was not being able to say goodbye to my dad before he was laid to his final resting place. I would have loved to see him for the last time. But even that was snatched away from me.

I have tried though not to show my mom how much I am hurting. Somehow, I want to be strong for my mom. I am an only child and I remember my dad always reminding me that I have to take care of mom whenever he's not around. I am only 13 years old but I felt I have aged thrice overnight.

I have started having nightmares as soon as I was sent home from the hospital. My dream varies which involves blinding lights, a lot of shattered glass, a lot of blood. But it always ends up with my dad being taken away by scary creatures. And me running after him but I can't. Because everytime I try, hands suddenly appear to hold me, preventing me on going after my dad.

Like tonight. I woke up with a green scaly monster taking away my dad. I just wanted to say goodbye to him and talk to him and say that I am afraid. But more than anything, I want to hug him tight. And say that I love him so much. Why does everything have to be difficult?

☆☆☆

Magic Grove
Particularly Fairyskye

Yue

I shivered as I exited the magical door to the Elder's Chamber. This door changes on any given day. Today, you can see snow falling like icing powder with occasional crystal white and blue snowflake that glimmers as it falls. The shrubs and trees were stained with white as clumps of snow hung on the leaves and branches. The pathway is as smooth as cake. As the wind whispers, you can see a swirling of white specks as it collides with the lush grass.

Sometimes it is like a garden during springtime. The sun washes the garden with a golden glow and you can hear birds singing in chorus as if singing an age old melody. There are also violas everywhere. Those beautiful purple flowers with a distinct yellow center, which never fail to liven up the doorway.