Chapter Ten

"Well, well, well" we both look up to see Jaxon holding up a gun. "What a lovely family reunion," he says Vincent pushes me back until I was behind him.
"Should've realised it was you," Jaxon says walking slowly towards us.
Vincent goes to raise his gun but Jaxon laughs. "Ah, no. Throw it here," he grins.
Vincent ignores him.
"Now if you don't, I'll shoot you and what will stop me from shooting her then?" Jaxon asks licking his lips. That seemed to have gotten through to Vincent, he grunts and threw the gun towards Jaxon and raises his hands.
"It's been a while Jaxon," Vincent says with so much hatred within his voice.
"Almost twenty years," Jaxon nods a smile appeared on his face. "Don't recall seeing you at that little ambush we did five years ago."
"You were busy kidnapping children, I was busy shooting."
"Really surprised me to hear that this little one is yours," he shakes his head amused. "Was not expecting that."
"I saw you take her," Vincent says his voice growing deadly and cold. "I will definitely kill you for the pain you've brought to my family and to the others."
Jaxon shrugs doing a little wave with the gun while still aiming it at Vincent, he was taunting Vincent. "You see, I am the one with the gun so I don't think you'll get that chance. Very dramatic though."
He clicks the gun, from behind Jaxon, I could see Dylan coming up from behind him aiming his gun.
"Is it true that you used a memory swipe on me?" I asked coming up with a quick idea on creating a diversion in hopes he wouldn't shoot Vincent. I could see Dylan nod in approval. Jaxon blinks as if he was caught off guard with my question.
"I mean, I have been having strange dreams about the outside world. And this man just confessed that he is my father ... so is it true?"
Jaxon narrows his eyes at me. "Of course it is you stupid girl, but don't worry, once I shoot your father and I will happily wipe all of this away as well ... and who knows maybe then we can have some fun."
Vincent clenched his fist in anger. I did the same, I did not want this man touching me.
"Drop the gun now asshole," Dylan shouts aiming the gun right on Jaxon's head.
Jaxon's eyes widened but quickly regained his composer and smirked. "Clever," he says dropping the gun.
Both Vincent and I run up to pick up the guns, I did not know what to do with it so I gave Vincent the one Jaxon held. "You will regret this," Jaxon says. "My men will hunt you down."
"Get down on your knees scum," Vincent says aiming the gun at his head. Jaxon obliged looking a little frightened and got down on his knees. "If you ever come near my family again, I will kill you."
Jaxon laughs and for whatever it was that came over me, I will never regret it, I pulled my fist back and punched him.
"That's for Noah!" I punched him again grabbing his shirt. "That's for the others" I pulled back again putting everything I had into it. "And this is for me!"

Jaxon fell back covering his face. I glanced at my fist, it was now sore so I shook it hoping the pain would ease up. Jaxon spat blood out, his nose was bleeding and his eye was starting to swell up, I hope it leaves a nasty bruise.
To make his day even better, Dylan shoots Jaxon's leg. Jaxon screams.
"Let's go!" Dylan says giving Jaxon a dirty look.
We turned to run to catch up with the others.
They did not get very far due to Noah's injury.
"Where too?" Nick asks sweating. Hunter was sweating just as much.
"The bathrooms are this way," Dylan says and took lead, Vincent throws Noah over his shoulder while Noah covered his mouth to keep from crying out and we ran not looking back.
When we reached the bathroom, Dylan shuts the door shoving something metal through the handles. He makes his way over to the corner of the room and pulls open drain and revealing an awful stench. I gagged.
"All right, hop in," he smiles motioning to the hole.
Nick was about to go first but Hunter stops him and climbs in first.
"All clear," he says "smells like shit too."
"No shit," Nicks says jumping through the hole. Vincent lowered Noah down enough for me to take him, I groaned at Noah's weight.
"Sorry," he mutters.
"It's nothing," I groaned as Vincent jumped down and reached up for Noah. Noah tried his best but cried out in pain.
"Easy," I tell him.
Once he was through the hole, I quickly wiped the sweat from my face.
"Avery, you're next," Dylan says. I was about to get down when the doors started banging. And again, Dylan drops the cover and grabs me pulling me behind one of the walls. I was now realising how huge this bathroom was.
"Shh..." Dylan wraps his arms around me.
The door was forced open.
"Check in there!" someone shouts.
I began to tremble.
"It's okay, just follow my lead," Dylan whispers. He slowly moves forward keeping me by his side. We could hear them slowly coming for us, Dylan looks around and spots an air vent.
"I just got an idea," he whispers. "I'll shoot at them, you run over and get that air vent door open."
"What?" my eyes widen in fear.
"I'll cover you, once I shoot at them they'll need to cover. Once you're in, I'll be right behind you. I promise."
This was insane, he touched my cheek gently. "You can do this."
I nodded. I moved forward and knew Dylan just revealed his location when he began shooting at them.
"They're here!" someone shouts.
"Shoot the enemy! Not the Subjects!" another shout.
I ran towards the air vent door. A gunshot missed me by a few meters, I screeched moving away. Dylan's head shot up.
"Avery?"
"I'm fine!"
I waited a couple of seconds finding the courage to go back and pull the door open, I climbed in.
"Dylan!" I shout as I got in. Dylan nods shooting at them again.
I couldn't watch, I looked away holding onto the door down the darkness of the air vent still hearing the gunshots. There was a noise and Dylan emerged breathlessly. I backed up so he could get in better.
"You good?" I ask him.
"Never better," he replies sarcastically gaining his breath back.
I led the way not sure if I was going the right way but Dylan never said anything so I kept going. We heard some guards below us, I froze up.
"Dylan?" I whispered.
"It's fine, keep going," he whispers.
Carefully as I could I kept going.
"Here," Dylan says peering down. He opens it up and jumps through. I followed him. I landed with a thud next to Dylan who looked around. 
I leaned forward. "I'm getting really tired," I complained. "I hate crawling."
"You and me both," Dylan agrees turning to look at one direction, I look up in time to see some guards.
"There!" Someone shouts.

I screamed pushing Dylan into one of the rooms, I slammed the door shut Dylan quickly looked at the door and ran to pushed the cabinet over to stop them from coming in. I look around the room, there was no way out!
"Oh god, we're trapped!" I cried.
Dylan walks over to the window and looks down, I sucked in a breath upon seeing the outside for the first time. Forgetting what our situation was, I walked over as if I was in a trace, not blinking.
The world was damaged. Everything was broken and ruined, the earth grew all around it making it their own. The sun was coming up, I felt a tear escape my eye.
What did this world once look like before? Beautiful, I thought.
"Avery!"
I snapped out of it and went to assist Dylan to push one of the heavy cabinets out the window, the glass shattered as it fell out of the window, I looked down to see it hit the water.
"Umm... what?" Confused I looked at Dylan who was biting his lip.
"It's deep enough," Dylan says.
Realisation sets in, he wanted us to jump.
"I don't know if I can swim," I said looking at him horrified.
"It's okay," he holds out his hand, without hesitating, I took his hand into mine. He squeezed my hand.
"Whatever happens Avery, do not let go of my hand."
I stared at Dylan, something within me awakened... whatever it was, it felt good and it all came down to one word.

One name.

Dylan.

"Avery? Are you with me?
I nodded pushing my thoughts back.
Dylan and I both backed up and ran forward just before they managed to open the door and we jumped.