Mark of Death

"Come on! We need to get out of here as fast as we can!" said a little 12 year old girl, yelling for a little 12 year old boy. "It's gonna get us!" she grasped the boys hand, and they ran as fast as their feet could carry them. You see, the problem with being chased and attacked by a huge deathly gas is that you can't slow down or else you'll burn to death. These two children were in huge danger. All they thought would happen was get eaten up by storm clouds. They didn't know about the burn to death part. "We're almost there!" gasped the girl. "Come on, we can make it!" she screamed, holding the boys hand as hard as she could. There was a calm place waiting for them, where there wasn't any smoke or fog, the place where they could be okay. It would be a little while before the fog went away. It always needed a victim before it could end. In a second, there was screaming, and Bethany and Austin passed out. When they woke up, Austin only had one foot.

An 15 year old Bethany jumped up in bed. She had brown hair and hazel eyes, from her Dad's side. She looked around her room, expecting to see nothing but fog and smoke, but instead saw her 15 year old brother, Austin, in the doorway. "Bethany, a-are you okay?" Austin said. "You screamed." He looked a bit startled. Austin had bright blonde hair, and blue eyes, from his Mom's side of the family. "I didn't scream." Bethany said, looking at her brothers left foot. It had been gone since the smoke attack. It was medal, and it clunked whenever he walked on it. "Why were you yelling?" he asked her. He was actually worried. Not a fake kind of worried when you pretend you care, but a real worried. "Um, I guess, it was a dream, that's all. Nothing to worry about." said Bethany, half-breathless. "What was the dream about?" Austin asked. Bethany didn't answer. She felt like lying. "You can tell me, Bethany, it's okay." said Austin. Bethany stopped staring at Austin's left foot.

She didn't want to lie about her dream, though she wanted to at the same time. "I dreamed about the time in the fog and smoke when your foot..." she started saying something like "I" when Austin interrupted her. "Oh...." He left the room. Then, from in the hall he said, "You don't need to worry, Bethany." He walked downstairs. As 15 year old Austin walked down the steps, Bethany could here his left foot's clunk on every other step.