Chapter 2, Mystery Message

Callan was barely awake. He listened to the awakening owls of Ga'Hoole, and sat up himself. Azul was at his side, and he gently nudged the raven with his foot as he stood up.

Azul got up complainingly, but quickly became enthusiastic once more as Callan beckoned for him to follow as he prepared to dive off of his branch.

Callan and Azul stayed close as the glided down to get food. Many stared at Azul, but, being a friendly population, many greeted him welcomingly. Azul was loud, and hectic, but owlets absolutely adored his antics as breakfast was eaten.

Around midnight, Callan began leading Azul back to his hollow. "Wait! Craww!" Azul crowed. "Callan! I must bring a message to your king! Akaww!" Callan turned to look at Azul questioningly. "... Alright." He responded, changing course for king Avalon's hollow.

The pair were glared at by elder guardians as they entered, and Callan ducked his head shyly. Amongst the guardians perched Alucard, the beautiful black and gold tyto who saved Callan and Azul the day before. "Let them enter..." Rumbled the deep, soft voice of Avalon. Azul rather enthusiastically hopped forward. "Craw!! Avalon, ¡Tengo un mensaje para ti, de la abadesa Miriam! Estás en peligro. ¡Los guerreros de Wasteland te atacarán en 5 días! Akaw!" He crowed out. Avalon's feathers puffed out in alarm

The surrounding owls stared, unsure what the strange black bird had said. Avalon beckoned Callan, Azul, and the guardians out. They all left without complaint. Alucard stopped to walk with Callan and Azul. "What was that?" He questioned. "Don't ask me, I'm just as confused." Callan retorted quickly. Azul showed no signs of giving explanation.

The three sat in a secluded area, trying to wring a translation out of the stubborn raven. Yet, Azul still said nothing. Callan eventually gave up, feathers puffed out agitatedly. "What's the point, Alucard? He isn't going to say anything helpful!" He whined. Alucard shook his head.

"Seems that way." The older owl muttered, kicking Azul lightly. "Akaww! If you need answers so badly, go to the wastelands! Craw!" He crowed. Callan and Alucard looked at him quickly. "What do you mean?" Callan questioned before Alucard could get out a word. "Follow me when the sun rises for answers! Kaw!"

The owls obliged, both secretly gearing up with battle claws and golden helms from the blacksmith. The armor was heavy for Callan, so Alucard taught him how to handle the weight and to balance it out

The sun began to rise, so both headed off to where Azul awaited at Callan's hollow. The raven was carrying a cloth bag in his claws, presumably food. It was then that they set off, heading into the unknown that lay awaiting in the Wastelands.