Bon Voyage

Filler for between episodes 10 & 11 of Season 5

Barbara had finally had a chance to introduce Jim to his daughter during a respite in shootouts between the GCPD and the military. Lee was there, too, and they were holed up in an abandoned building, far above everything. Lee left the two of them alone to bond with the infant and walked over to one of the windows.

She had expected Jim to say, 'Lee, get away from the windows,' because from that vantage point, she could easily be shot by enemy fire. But he didn't.

She knew it wasn't fair - Jim needed to spend time with his newborn baby and was all caught up in that, but she couldn't help but compare his concern for her over the entirety of their relationship to Ed's. Ed had once again risked his life that night – and the life of his closest friend – in order to provide a distraction so she and Barbara could get out of the hospital safely – and alive.

And in turn, without saying a word, she had subtly tipped him off as to where the pressure regulator valve was hidden – the one that Barbara had stolen from him. It was the final piece he had needed for his submarine - his and Oswald's getaway vehicle from Gotham. She was sure he had found it and was making his way through the river with Oswald by now.

Lee knew that Ed hadn't done it for Barbara and the baby – he had done it for her. To keep her safe. Just like he had made the dangerous trek inside the GCPD to retrieve her that day, shortly before the bridges fell. In contrast, Jim had completely lost track of her and left her on the floor to be trampled by Jerome's followers.

Ed had always been single-minded. Devoted. Even though she had married another man, he had still waded into an unknown and very dangerous situation just so she'd have a chance to survive.

She hoped he would, as well.

She placed a finger on the glass over a dark strip of water surrounding Gotham, the one most likely to be Ed's escape route.

Then she whispered, "Bon voyage."