Why Is it An Apple?

It was a beautiful day to be traveling through Central Park. At the same time it was also very hot and packed with like minded people all trying to do the same thing.

Altair's necklace got heavy as Diane and I made our way The Lake in the park where people went boating.

"What's the matter Altair?" I muttered to the necklace.

"You said that all of us would be able to enjoy the lake. Except if you cannot notice I am indeed not enjoying the lake because I am stuck within the confines of my amulet" Altair complained from within my necklace.

"Well I'm sorry Altair," I apologized. "But there's a lot of people around and none of them would be too happy with seeing a shadow person."

"Touchy humans," complained.

"Well, now I feel bad," I sighed as I touched the amulet's stone eagle.

"Don't let that cloud of smoke guilt trip you," Diane reassured me. "He's nothing but stinky air."

"That is not true!" Altair shouted from the amulet and I clasped my hands over it hoping to muffle his protesting cries.

I have a pro tip: If you ever find an ancient shadow person spirit, take them to places where they can be free to explore. It makes things a lot less complicated for you.

To be honest as fussy as Altair got, I never for one second regretted finding him in the tidal pool near my hometown of Far Water.

Life in Far Water had been hell on Earth for me as if grown up in an abusive home where my mother beat me and manipulated me, but then I found Altair and my life completely changed.

I'd moved out of Far Water with Diane and the three of us traveled the country having fun. I finally got to live life to its fullest potential and I was enjoying every second of it.

Diane had been accepted to Julliard's prestigious dance program in the fall and I'd made the grades and got accepted to many of the universities I'd applied to. I chose to attend Columbia University due to its proximity to Julliard. The two of us had been inseparable since childhood and continued the habit as we plowed through adulthood.

We weren't living the high life, but we were making due in our tiny shared studio apartment in Morningside Heights.

"Since we've came here I've never gotten a straight answer," Altair said continuing his conversation, "I've yet to figure out why this place is called the Big Apple. I have not seen a single enormous apple, or apple trees for that matter."

"Altair, I've told you, it's just a nickname," I laughed.

"It's a very misleading one," Altair complained. "If I were to go to this so-called city of fili-delphia would it even be the city of brotherly love? Or would that be another bit of falseness?"

"I don't know buddy, I really don't know."

Finally arriving at the lake seemed to calm Altair's curiosity down and Diane and I saw calmly enjoying the cool breeze that came off the lake.

"Ugh, summer can not get here soon enough," Diane groaned as she stretched on the rock she was sitting on. I hugged my knees.

"Are you going to visit your mom again?" I asked lightly.

Diane sat up and sighed, "You know I am. You're welcome to along if you want to, my mom loves you."

"I know," I said softly, "But you know I have no plans on going back to Far Water. I left and that's the way I'm keeping it. If I went back I might run in to my parents and..."