Author's Note

Since I finished Unusual Guardian I knew I wanted to make a sequel. It was just a matter of finding a plot that was equally as compelling as the first one. The thought of Unexpected Darkness formed for over a year, but it finally got to hit the page when I felt it was ready

The second part was fitting in a good story within a certain amount of words, because if there's one thing I vowed was that these smaller overall stories in my universe should be straight to the point, but hold a message.

The world of human trafficking is no joke. It's very real, a seedy underbelly, and a deplorable underworld. I took a whole semester long class learning just how awful it, and the porn industry, are and the things you learn can make even the boldest of optimists lose faith in humanity.

I only told a small facet of what's out there along with the core concept of why Unusual Guardian was written: abusive homes are a reality, and it might be closer than you think.

Cynthia's parents were never going to be redeemable characters because they have no traits to redeem. Her mother hits her and abuses her in every form from manipulation to gaslighting, while her dad is a bystander with no remorse to the way his own daughter is being brought into emotional turmoil.

It gets so bad that the mere utterance of her mother's voice is enough to set Cynthia into a tailspin of a panic attack.

All of these are realities in our country and unlike the world I write about, there are no Altair's as magic guardians to help when things hit rock bottom, but there are resources.

1-888-373-7888 This is the number for the National Human Trafficking Hotline. They'll help you or anyone who you suspect to be a victim of human trafficking. They have staff there 24/7 and you can text "HELP" or "INFO" to their number (233733) if you don't want to call.

For abused children in need there's the Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline. Unlike NHTH they only help those in the United States and Canada, but they too are open 24/7.

The National Runaway Safeline is also there for teens who had to leave home for whatever reason, no judgement whatsoever. The number is 1-800-RUNAWAY and they'll help with finding shelter and food for needy children.

Spread the news, be alert, and help the teens whose lives have been caught up in the unexpected darkness they didn't deserve.