The Cast Iron Rooster

I "went home" to get married in 2001. And by "went home", I mean that I didn't live in the town that I had my wedding in. In fact, I hadn't lived in that town for 6 years. I know that Mom was surprised that I wanted to get married in <<hometown>> but there was never any question of where else I would have had my wedding.

One lovely thing about getting married at home was that I was thrown a bridal shower in <<hometown>>. All the <<hometown>> ladies attended - even the ones that I hadn't seen in years. I remember having the longest conversation I had ever had with Eileen <<Lastname>> there.

I still remember some of the gifts I received; a lace tablecloth from Mrs. Ellis, a towel set from Kathy <<Lastname>>, kitchen knives from Bernice <<Lastname>> and girls. But the one present I remember the most is one that I still puzzle over.

It is a small cast iron rooster that stands about 6 inches tall. I received it from Marianne <<Lastname>>. I remember clearly that when I opened it, my mom and my bridesmaid, Reanna, all tried to figure out what it was. Reanna thought it might be a napkin holder but in order for that to work, it would have to be upside down. Mom asked if I had ever mentioned to Marianne that I collected chicken-themed decor. I had not.

The next day was when the real challenge came, when I was writing my thank-you notes. How do you write a thank you note for something that you're not sure what it is? Well, with a little help from Mom and a thesaurus, I managed to write an acceptable message and sealed it in an envelope - another checkmark on my to-do list. I do not recall what that card might have said.

The cast iron rooster was put into a box of things that I didn't need yet and put away in our garage in Calgary.

Fast forward a few years later, when moving into a new house, we unpacked the box with the cast iron rooster. The mystery was renewed again. I still am not sure why Marianne chose that particular item to give to me upon my impending wedding.

Was it a tradition in another culture that I didn't know about?

Did Marianne always gift chickens to new brides?

What exactly was she thinking about when she wrapped that gift up for me?

Alas, Marianne passed away in 2005 and I will never get to ask her these questions.

As I look at the cast iron chicken that sits on the window ledge above my kitchen sink - he looks happy there - I wonder if that was the gift; the ability to be grateful for things that I don't understand. Perhaps there was a lesson in the process of writing the thank you note so long ago; to teach me to be grateful for the gifts that I have, even when I am not clear on what they are, even when I am not sure how.

2024.03.21

<<identifying information edited>>