II Chapter 2 II

Chapter 2

"It's Today. Oh My God, it's Today. Oh My God, I am freaking out. Oh My God." Those were the words Rhiannon spoke that day, five years back.

Today was Assessment Day.

Today was the day their future will be decided for them.

She had a feeling that today would be the day her life would fall apart.

It had been difficult hiding her powers. They had been more and more obvious lately. She was almost caught by her mom one time when she accidentally "willed" a cookie over to her.

She couldn't find out what the origin of her power was. There were nothing online or at the library. It was frustrating.

"Krys, this for you and Starlin." Her mom handed her two necklaces. "It's a tradition that has been going on in our family ever since the government initiated this program."

That's right. This whole stupid idea was set up by the government ever since our ancestors got stranded here on Newland after a government experiment.

It was 1990, 1000 selected individuals boarded a rocket newly developed to travel across space. If it succeeded, the rocket would be released to public. During the middle of the flight, all the communications with Earth were cut off. Those 1000 people landed on a small planet. After many disputes named it Newland. There the new Government initiated a program to control everyone on the planet. Nobody knew what the real reason for the program was, but the Government insisted it was to keep everyone safe.

Krys doubted it.

"Krys!"

A stone flew at Starlin. Luckily Krys managed to change it's trajectory.

"Ouch! Who threw that?" Starlin winced.

Krys's hands started shaking. She almost hurt her best friend because of her powers. "Are, Are you okay?" She asked. Her voice was trembling.

Starlin frowned. "Yeah, I'm fine. Are you okay?"

Krys managed to smile "Yeah, just surprised." She nodded.

Maybe. Maybe, she deserved to die. She could accidentally hurt so many people. Even kill.

"No." Krys thought to herself. "It was a mistake. Mistakes happen, and mistakes can be fixed so they don't happen again."

"Here, my Mom made this for you." She handed Starlin's necklace to her. It was a Agate pendant necklace. Agate represented the strength and courage of Starlin. Krys thought it was perfect for her. She, herself had received a Garnet necklace. It showed that her mom believed Krys was loyal and faithful. She beamed at her mom's thoughtfulness.

Starlin smiled, "Tell your mom I appreciated it greatly." Krys detected a hint of sadness in her eyes.

"You know Krys, I envy you sometimes." Krys swallowed the sadness she felt. She said nothing.

Sometimes silence hurt less.