II Chapter 3 II

"Welcome, young men and young women, to Assessment Day. The day you have all been waiting for your entire life. Today, you will be awarded with a value, to which you shall live with accordingly for the rest of your life. I am sure you all know the restrictions of certain values." The Presenter, Wayne Herman smiled. It was a chilling smile, one that sent shivers down your spine.

Krys was anxious.

She had a bad feeling about this ever since her Examination.

It gave her even more of a feeling that she would be an Unbanded.

Gracie Chung . . . Alfie Thornton . . . Maeve Houston . . . Christian Bourne . . .

She had been waiting for 3 hours already even though the Greens go first. The order you are called in depends on your parents Exact Value. Her parents were Low Greens. Starlin had already gone since her parents were High Greens. They both hated how everything depended on your value. Starlin was was pretty popular at school since her parents pretty much had one of the highest Values combined in Branch 2.

Branch 2 was middle class. They lived peacefully. They weren't in poverty. But they weren't rich either. They were just people who existed. They were the nobodies. The type of people that everyone else don't notice. Krys was fine living that way. Starlin wasn't. She was done with the Government. She wanted to make them bleed. Krys always told her to shut her trap. If someone else heard her say that. Well, it would be the last time anyone heard her.

"Krystalle Carter."

Krys stood up.

This was it.

The Final Exam.

She entered the room. A man with beady eyes and a toupee looked up at her. He squinted at the paper in front of him. "Ms. Carter, a pleasure to meet you." She nodded.

"You'll be required to remove your contacts for the Final Exam."

Krys sighed. Her eyes were Violet Gray. She had them since birth. She used to like them until she realized everyone stared at her trying to get a glimpse of her eyes. "I am not wearing contacts."

The Examiner frowned and looked at his sheet. "Very well then."

She sat down.

What happened in the Final Exam was confidential. Nobody was allowed to speak of it, unlike the first three exams which they had been given a briefing on.

The man had taken out a hemocapex to draw her blood. It was developed just recently to exterminate the pain during the procedure. She was thankful, since needles freaked her out. Now it would be so much easier.

His eyes widened at the results. He abruptly stood up and went over to another desk and extracted a yellow envelope with a red paw on it. "You shall open it one day after Assessment Day. Tell no one." He commanded.

It felt fishy. She hesitantly accepted the envelope. She hadn't seen an envelope for such a long time. Nobody used them anymore, in such a technologically advanced world.

She looked up at the man now that he had stood up she realized he was muscular. Very muscular. His face and his body didn't match. The man smiled. "Off you go."

She left.

Krys didn't look back. The man frightened her. His smile. She'd seen it before. It was when she saw something she shouldn't have. She quickened her pace.