Five: Glances of Worry

"yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose" -lyndon b

-lyndon b. johnson

Safina woke up early on Monday, a feeling of excitement brewing in her chest. The house smelled of fresh coffee and muffins—Cherie's days off often began like that. Taking the time to make sure each curl was perfect, the teen girl couldn't help the smile etched on her face, seemingly permanently. She hummed softly as red lipstick was swiped onto her lips, bringing out the warmth her eyes had lacked since the death of her mother.

Gabriel was suspicious, seeing his sister so happy; Elliot and Cherie were happy to finally see her with a smile that reached her eyes, no mind to the reason behind it. Breakfast was spent in laughter, stories of the adults' pasts the topic of conversation.

When Jasper saw that Safina had arrived at school, the smile on his face grew larger, his perfect teeth on display. Alice's smile also grew larger, if that was possible, seeing the girl she knew would become a best friend. Safina's curly hair was pinned back, no longer hiding her face, a floral blouse hanging off her shoulders, displaying her bronze shoulders.

People stared at the odd couple as they had on Safina's first day. His porcelain skin contrasted with the deep amber of hers, making it hard not to stare at the beauty of the couple alone. Both of them noticed but neither cared at the peering eyes, they were too caught up in the feeling of each other's hands, connecting as if they were meant for each other, a feeling of warmth spreading throughout both of their bodies.

Jasper walked Safina to her first class, cupping her cheek in his cold hand, then kissed her forehead. He smiled at her before vanishing into the crowd of students, though still standing out, he would never blend in especially in Safina's mind.

As the tall girl sat down in her usual seat, she heard a snobbish voice behind her, "How come an average girl got the Cullen boy?" Safina knew they were talking about her, Bella had warned her they would as they had done when Bella was a human beginning her relationship with Edward. The brace for impact made it less harsh and Safina breathed, trying to focus on the teacher.

Class dragged on despite already being used to hour-long classes, the only difference was her being able to see a certain boy afterwards. Nessie wouldn't stop asking questions, not that Safina minded answering them, though it made class seem longer. When the bell for second rung, the bronzed girl was the first one to leave the room.

Jasper could be spotted within seconds, his pale skin standing out from even the students who rarely saw the sun. The pair met in the middle quickly, smiles placed instantly on their opposite faces. Even though they wouldn't have class together for two more hours, neither seemed to mind, purely basking in the time they did have together.

They had become extremely close in the short time they had spent together. Jasper had refrained from telling her about the true connection they had, not wanting to lose her so quickly. He also hadn't told her about his past, not being too proud of it but also knowing it wasn't the right time for her to know how truly long he had been alive.

However, he did tell her about vampiric abilities, including his own along with the family's. Knowing that his own mood was influenced by that of others, she made it a goal to remain as happy as she could, but he didn't need to know that. He had intentionally glossed over Alice's gift, hoping she wouldn't want to know her own future. Jasper knew she wouldn't take well to her future being extremely hazy, unclear to even his sister. Alice could see the future of mostly everyone, and it plagued the family to not know where her future lead.

When lunch came, Jasper and Safina walked hand-in-hand to the cafeteria. He invited her to sit with his family but seeing her brother waiting for her at a table made her decline. With that, he shrugged and told her to invite him as well. Safina's face lit up and she walked over to Gabriel, nudging him and asking if he wanted to sit with the Cullens.

"Aren't they, like, super weird, though?" Gabriel hadn't really planned on moving once he had sat down, even less to sit down with people who probably didn't want him to sit there.

Rolling her eyes with a smile, Safina answered, "They're just...different," She hoped he would leave it there and oblige her, which he did with a huff. She smiled and grabbed his arm, practically dragging him to the table.

"Hey guys, this is my brother, Gabriel. Gabriel these are the Cullens," She introduced each of them by name, purposefully saving Jasper for last. Gabriel waved and sat down beside his sister, neither of them noticing the subtle glances of worry Alice and Edward shared.