Chapter Seven

Cyrus

It's been a few weeks since Jerone was rescued. I may not have known him that long, but I can tell he's different. I don't blame him though, if I was kidnapped and tortured for two weeks I'd be different too. Ori doesn't like the new Jerone, she keeps trying to get him back to his old self, but I don't think his old self exists anymore. Moda, or Kaymi as I've been told, says he's angrier. I don't think that's completely accurate, true, but not accurate. Jerone is a complete-

"Cyrus, hurry up and get dressed!" Jerone ponded on the door of the bathroom door. "We don't have all day."

"I'm almost done," I offered to watch Jerone while he recovered, so the Rebels gave us a room to share. I've come close to moving outside as a result of his. . . attitude.

"Why do girls take forever in the bathroom but always come out looking the same?" Jerone said when I opened the door.

"Man vision," I said brushing my shoulder against his as I walked out the door.

I could hear his footsteps pounding behind me as we walked to the lunch pad. He used to step lightly in the forest like he was scared of hurting the earth itself. Now, I don't think he cared who he hurt. He was in an especially bad mood today, but this was his choice, so he had no right. I would have told him to stop stepping on my heels, but, after years of carrying huge bags of sticks, he could probably kill me without breaking a sweat.

Today is the day Ori and M- Kaymi leave. Jerone talked to his Uncle, who's apparently his Daba and the leader of the outlaws, a few days after he got here. He asked Hurculum to take his sister and Birth Giver off-world, somewhere safe where they could start a new life. Hurculum agreed, but Moda didn't. Kaymi was determined to stay until Jerone yelled at her. She left the room in tears, and Hurculum almost killed Jerone for making her cry. After that it there was no more arguing, they were leaving. I almost got to go with them, but Jerone made it clear that he wanted me nowhere near them. He blames me for everything that's happened to his family. I blame myself.

"Cyrus, would you hurry up. If we miss this window they're going to be stuck here for another month." Jerone grabbed me by the wrist and dragged me along.

We got to the launch pad ten minutes early. What I expected to be a tear-jerking moment was rather violent. Kaymi hugged Jerone, and (to my surprise) me. She then turned to Hurculum and kissed him. It was no secret that the two were lovers, but Jerone didn't like his biological father kissing his mother. Jerone broke the man's nose and bruised most of the man's face before to rebels grabbed him. Moda couldn't look at him after that. What really surprised me was Ori. She hugged me so tight I thought she was trying to kill me, but then she kissed me. From another point of view, it probably looked like she kissed my cheek, but there was no denying that our lips touched. She then ran to the ship. Leaving me shocked, and confused. I wasn't sure how I felt about the kiss or how I should feel, but I think it best that I pretend it never happened.

Back in our room, Jerone was preparing for our first job. Despite his rage, I could tell his morals were at war. All his life he was taught smuggling Banta was wrong, but he was also taught to honor his Daba. If he didn't work for the Outlaws he'd go against one moral code, but working for them goes against another. He through a mask at me and we headed to the truck.

This was our new life. Orthian Outlaws