▲ 𝟙𝟘 ▲

"The sun did not shine. It was too wet to play. So we sat in the house. All that cold, cold, wet day."

― Dr. Seuss, The Cat in the Hat

Arrival Arc: Early June Showers

You awkwardly stirred your cereal around the bowl, watching the soaked pieces float on the surface of the little pond of milk. You glanced up at your cousin to see him chatting away on the phone.

Noah's face was vacant of any real emotion as he organized the date when he would be going back to work. During your breakfast Noah's employer, Dan called to ask how he was feeling and when he would be coming back into work. As soon as he expressed his concerns, Noah jumped to telling him that he would come in today if he were needed. However, it seemed as if Dan was fine with Noah taking a few more days off if he still wasn't feeling great after the scare that occurred on Friday. Now, Noah was explaining what had happened and organizing a date when he would be back into work, going off what the doctor told him, which was to take a day or two off to 'get back into shape.'

You wondered whether Noah would be taking any more days off work. You found it strange that he was willing to take even one day off. It was so unlike him to put his work aside since it seemed like it was the only thing in his life that he genuinely made him happy. Noah was in every sense of the word: a workaholic.

"...Yeah, yeah...I'm not sure actually...uhh...I'd say Friday? I'm improving, and I've been trying to make sure my breathing is in order...no, it shouldn't be a problem, don't worry...yes, tell them I'm fine...yes...okay...thank you...see you Friday...bye..."

Noah hung up with a soft smile playing on his lips. You watched him with a nonchalant expression as he placed the phone on the table and picked up his spoon again. When he noticed your gaze, his ghost of a smile disappeared as he raised an eyebrow.

"What?"

You shrugged, "Nothing. Was that your boss?"

"Yeah, Dan and I agreed that I go back into work on Friday, so I can at least help him get the wood ready for Monday's delivery."

You nodded in acknowledgment before finally bringing the spoon up to your lips after stirring it around the bowl for the past eight minutes.

You knew that by Noah going back to work, he must have been feeling better. However, you weren't going to hold your breath; his work was got him into that position in the first place so there was still the small chance something could go wrong. Though, with how Noah had been acting, you didn't think that chance was as small as it should be. He had been using his inhalers when he was supposed to, but there was the concern about his sleeping and the odd ramblings that kept coming from his mouth when he was pissed drunk.

You chewed the bland cereal, cringing slightly at the cardboard taste of it as you contemplated the previous night. After you went back up to your room to go read, you came back downstairs to see Noah still drinking coffee. You wondered how many cups he had as he drank another one throughout a very awkward dinner. After that, he retreated into the living room while you returned to your room.

Though, besides the excessive consumption of coffee, one thing struck you as odd. You didn't recall Noah going to bed that night. You stayed up late on your phone until you went downstairs to check on your cousin and get a snack. He didn't notice you, but you saw him when he was moping in the living room. He was sat on the windowsill with the window open with a cigarette between his two fingers.

You didn't think Noah was the type who regularly smoked (if at all) since you had never smelt cigarettes on him. It was a real shock to see him doing it when he certainly didn't seem like the type to go anywhere near them.