The rescue

My name is Emma lee Roberts. When I was fourteen years old my house was over run by walkers. I was the only one to survive in my household. That's when it all began.

I wasn't stupid, lets put it that way. I was smart enough to realize what was happening. I remember like it was yesterday, I could hear the gurgles and moans from the used-to-be humans raiding my home. I was upstairs away from the chaos down below.

I grabbed an old bag from my closet and filled it with clothes that I would be able to move swiftly in. I also stuffed a baseball bat and a gun my dad put in my room in case of emergency. I checked if it was loaded, only two shells but I hoped it would last.

About to head out the door I realized I had nothing to defend myself with, besides the weapons I packed but I'd rather save those for later.
I looked around the room for something, anything. The lamp caught my attention so I ripped the shade off and unscrewed the bulb. Taking the stand of the lamp I grasps it tightly in my hand. Boom! Instant weapon.

I started walking slowly downstairs till I heard grunting and slices. My heart was beating harder than it normally would.

But in an instant everything was silent, I tilted my head to see if I could see anything, but it was hard. "I'll check upstairs"

A young man's voice said. I started to panic so I hid in the closet. It was dark, and something was prodding at my back. I could hear the shuffling of feet down below me. The door creaked open, I paused everything. My breathing, my movement. I didn't know who these people were, why were they in my house?  "Anybody in here?"

The boy said. I was almost tempted to come out, but what if he wanted that, what if he wanted to hurt me? Like he read my mind the voice said,

"I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm here to help, I saw you peeking upstairs"

That was it, I was caught so I decided to give up the ghost. I slowly opened the closet door and standing in front of me was a boy around my age maybe a little younger. He had long, dark brown hair and piercing blue eyes. I looked at him and he looked back. "Cool weapon"

He simply said. I looked down at the lamp post then towards his gun. It was small but you could get the job done with it. Plus it was a silencer. "You too"

He smiled, probably feeling accomplished at how he broke the ice between us. "My names Carl"

"Emma"

"Let me introduce you to the rest"

That's how they found me, two years ago today.