Talks

That gets Nolan's attention. That Aoife had seemed closed off about the girl only tells him how much it must mean to his cousin to see the two families come together once more. Nolan is, of course, very curious to learn of the girl, for quite some legends have been proven true and a girl in the woods is something he is definitely suspicious of. In a way, he feels better that she is ready to tell him, for it would mean that the girl is just that- a girl- and nothing more sinister.

Her hand taken gently within his, the two of them make their way back to the one house that stands apart from the others in that it is isolated. They have no visitors at any time of the year, save their own family. Aoife does not hesitate this time. She knows that her brother stands beside her, and somehow, she knows that she will get through to her aunt this time. At least she hopes it will be better than her last attempt, for if she had tried last time, she knows that this time around, she will try at least ten times harder.

Again, it is Aodhán who opens the door for them, and Aoife is glad that she stands behind Nolan. She knows that her aunt will be easier to convince than her cousin and it seems to be a better idea to wait until he registers her unwelcome presence. Some part of Aoife is glad when Aodhán just ignores her existence as he lets them in while another part of her is disappointed with the fact that he isn't even willing to try. After all, she does not know how to mend a family that doesn't want to be mended.

She notices the difference in the household as soon as she steps in. It has become considerably gloomy, as have all the houses in town, but that is not what catches her attention. The fragrance of wildflowers reaches her, and she is met with a sight that gives her a fresh burst of hope. There, in a small vase in the corner, are the flowers she had last left for her aunt. They had not been thrown out to spite her and seem rather well looked after. It is when someone clears their throat, expecting a response, that she realizes that she has been spoken to.

"I asked you what you wanted this time, girl. If you have come to tell me the same thing as last time, you are wasting your effort here."

"I have told you already. I am not giving up, ever. I will stay here all my life if I have to. I am ready to give up anything for us to be together again. Why are you so against it?"

"Why does it matter so much to you, child? It never mattered before."

"I know now what happened that day and I do not expect you to forgive us so soon, but you can at least try. You loved your sister, Alma. Unlike me, you had the time to know her. Do you know what it feels like, knowing that I have a family yet not really knowing any of them? I only ask that I have a chance. Is it so wrong of me to want that?"

Aoife does not see it but the two brothers do. Their mother has softened towards the girl. It is not hard to see why, for they know it is very hard to hate a child, especially when she remains the only living memory of what their own aunt Aine had once been. They know that their mother only needs one good reason to embrace the girl as her own, though her father would be a different matter altogether. They suspect he would never be forgiven.

"If you do know what happened, then how can you expect me to forgive that? My sister died because he refused to help her!" Alma snaps, her stoic façade threatening to crumble.

"I am sorry," is all Aoife says before her aunt turns away from her. Aoife decides to go home and speak to her father. As she walks to the foot, she sees Nolan looking at her, silently asking if she wants him to come along.

"I can walk home myself. I think you would do more good here, brother. It is getting late."

Aoife is still pleased with the outcome of their meeting. She knows that her aunt has said nothing outright, but that she deigned to keep the flowers and speak to her shows her that there is still room for forgiveness, and so she skips along to her house, where her father awaits her. She does not know how she will broach the topic, but she hopes that it will all be done by the end of the day.

"You seem very busy these days."

Aoife turns around to find her father there, and somehow, she gets the feeling that he will want some answers soon, though about what, she is unsure. Well, if he wanted her to answer his questions, he would have to answer hers too. He seems to be prepared enough to hear things rather unpleasant, so Aoife decides that the time has come to ask her father what went wrong that night when it had all started. If her father did answer that question, it might make things easier for her to understand and mediate between the two sides. After all, it would be wrong of her to assume that the fault was entirely her father's as she has been led to believe so far. She knows that her father is not the kind of man to abandon his loved one, for that is what her mother was to him.

"Look child, I know I have drowning myself in grief and work all the while long, but if you had a need for attention, you could have asked me. Have I ever refused you, Aoife?"

At first, Aoife does not realize what he means, but it soon dawns on her that perhaps her actions have not gone as unnoticed as she would have hoped. She had been sneaking out of the house too often, and it turns out that she was not so discreet about it after all! Not only had Nolan called her out for it, but her father too!

"That is not true, father! I know you have always loved me as I love you, and never have you deprived me of something, but you see..." she trailed off, trying to figure out how she could answer his question without giving herself away, but the question that comes next is something least expected, though the idea itself leaves her as pink as the gown she loves.

"Who have you been seeing Aoife? A boy you fancy?"