OLD ((1)) Fractured

3rd POV

The lone country looked around, stifling his ragged breathing. Around him smog filled the once clean air. He blinked and took a few steps forward, almost tripping over what used to be a house. A chill went down his spine making him turn around abruptly, narrowing his eyes at the darkness surrounding the nation.

A crack suddenly split through the air, sending an instant migraine through his skull. His vision got blurry, cracks appearing down his arms. Voices began screaming in his head. He stumbled back, not hearing the footsteps nearby.

Something in almost an instant tugged at his arm, making America jump back. He tripped over debris and scrambled backwards. Whatever was in front of him raised something into the air, grunting. The country slammed his eyes shut and covered what was left of his face as a hammer came slamming down.

"MERI!" He awoke to his brother, Canada, shaking him roughly. America opened his eyes, breathing heavily. The timid country held him by the shoulders as he struggled. "Hey, hey, it's okay. I'm here."

America slowed his breathing as reality sunk back in. He was in his and Canada's room. It was Sunday morning. Sizzling of bacon could be heard in the background.

Canada softly smiled, trying to reassure him, "I was up in my bunk until you started making weird noises. I came down and you started doing that panicked twitching thing you do when you're having a nightmare."

"Sorry if I woke you." America mumbled, attempting to stretch his arms to hide his embarrassment.

"It's no big deal, I'm just glad you're okay!" Canada then jumped back a few steps, picking up on his brothers uneasy actions. "Breakfast is almost ready: eggs, bacon, toast. All the good stuff!" He said with a grin, changing the subject.

The country brightened up seeing his brother's excitement over something as simple as breakfast. "Sounds good." America replied, swinging his feet to the side of his bed. "Bet ya I can beat you downstairs." He challenged.

"Oh it's on-" Canada was cut off as he was pushed out of the way. Excessive thudding could be heard as they both fought their way down the staircase.

"BEAT YA! -oW!" America was slammed into the ground as Canada tripped on the last step. There was a mixture of groaning and laughter as they laid in a pile at the bottom of the stairs.

Britain looked up from his newspaper at the dining-room table and raised a brow. "You boys seem to be rambunctious today."

America replied by sticking out his tongue and pushing Canada off him. "Get off me you sack of pancakes." He stammered, out of breath.

Canada giggled and rolled away from his brother. He then yelped as he was grabbed by the ankles and dragged to the dining-room. "Let goooooo!"

"Nah." was the only reply he got as he was carried away by America.

———————————————————

Eventually most of the family sat at the dining-room table. Britain at one head of the surface, France at the other. Between them was America, with Canada to his left. Then across the table sat Australia, who had his legs propped up on the chair next to him. He was then promptly smacked by a newspaper across the head. New Zealand usually sat next to him but was currently at a sleep over.

As everybody started to fill their plates Canada got up and walked into the kitchen. When he came back he was holding a bottle of syrup. "Can't forget the best part."

America snorted, "You know drinking that like it's water isn't good for you, right?"

"Says the one who eats junk food like it's life or death."