Chapter 1

A/N: I do not own any of the characters or the story line! The story line was copied but edited from Rainbow Rowell- Eleanor and Park and the characters and from The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare.

Fall out boy was no good for drowning out the morons at the back of the bus.

Alec pressed his headphones into his ears.

Tomorrow he was going to bring Green Day or The Neighbourhood. Or maybe he'd make a special playlist with as much screaming and wailing as possible.

He could get back to New Wave in November, after he got his driver's license. His parents already said he could have his mom's black BMW. Once he started driving to school, he could listen to whatever he wanted or nothing at all, and he'd get to sleep in and extra twenty minutes.

'That doesn't exist,' somebody shouted behind him.

'It so fucking does,' Jace shouted back. 'Drunken-demon style, man, it's a real fucking thing. You can kill somebody with it...'

'You're full of shit.'

'you're full of shit,' Jace said. 'Alec! Hey Alec.'

Alec heard him, but didn't answer. Sometimes, if you ignored Jace for a minute, he moved onto someone else. Knowing that was 80 percent survival with Jace as your parabatai. The other 20 percent was keeping your head down and getting through training...

Which Alec had momentarily forgotten. A ball of paper hit the back of his head.

'Those were my downworlder notes, dicklick,' Clary said.

'I'm sorry, baby,' Jace said. 'I'll teach all about downworlders. What do you need to know?'

'Teach her drunken-demon style,' somebody said.

'ALEC!' Jace shouted.

Alec pulled down his headphones and turned to the back of the bus. Jace was holding court in the last seat. Even sitting his head practically touched the roof. Jace always looked like he was surrounded by doll house furniture. He'd been that tall since seventh grade, and that es before his voice got deep. Slightly before.

Sometimes Alec wondered if Jace was with Clary because she made him look even taller. Most of the girls from the flats were small, but Clary couldn't be five feet. Massive hair included.

Once, back in middle school, some guy had tried to give Jace shit about how he better not get Clary pregnant because if he did, his giant babies would kill her. 'They'll bust out her stomach like in aliens,' the guy said. Jace broke his middle finger in the guy's face. When Alec's dad heard, he said, 'I thought we taught Herondale how to make a fist.' Which Alec had, but he didn't think it mattered. The guy Jace hit couldn't open his eyes for a week.

Alex tossed Clary her balled-up homework. She caught it.

'Alec,'. Jace said, 'Tell Simon about drunken-demon karate.'

'I don't know anything about it.' Alec shrugged.

'But it exists, right?'

'I guess I've heard if it.'

'There,' Jace said. He looked for something to throw at Simon, but couldn't find anything. He pointed instead. 'I fucking told you.'

'What the fuck does Lightwood know about kung fu?' Simon said.

'Are you retarded?' Jace said. 'He has a Japanese friend.'

Simon raised an eyebrow at Alec. Alec smiled and nodded his head.

'He's not Japanese,' Clary said. 'He's Chinese.'

'Same thing isn't it?' Simon said.

'Shit, Si,' Jace said, 'you're such a fucking racist.'

Alec slunk back into his seat, putting his headphones back on and cranking up the volume. He could still hear Jace and Simon, four seats behind him.

'But what's the fucking point?' Simon asked.

'Dude, would you want to fight a drunk demon? They're fucking huge. Imagine that bastard loosing his shit on you.'

Alec noticed the new boy at about the same time everybody else did. He was standing at the front of the bus, next to the first available seat.

There was a kid sitting there, a freshman. He put his bag down in the seat beside him, then looked the other way.

All down the aisle, anybody who was sitting alone moved to the edge of their seat.

The new boy took a deep breath and stepped farther down the aisle. Nobody would look at him. Alec tried not to, but it was kind of a train wreck/eclipse situation.

The boy just looked like exactly the sort of person this would happen to.

Not just new - but tall and awkward. With crazy hair, jet black on top of spikey. And he was dressed like... like he wanted people to look at him. Or maybe he didn't get what normal people wear. He had on a bright pink shirt with blue sequinned blazer,matching pants and was covered in glitter from head to toe. He reminded Alec of a barbie doll, like something that wouldn't survive in the wild.

The bus stopped again, and a bunch more kids got on. They pushed passed the boy, knocking into him, and dropped into their own seats.

That was the thing - everybody on the bus already had a seat. They'd all claimed one on the first day of school. People like Alec who were lucky enough to have a whole seat to themselves weren't going to give that up now. Especially not for someone like this.

Alec looked back up at the boy. He was just standing there.

'Hey, you,' the driver yelled, 'sit down.'

The boy started moving towards the back of the bus. Right into the belly if the beast. God, Alec thought, stop. Turn around. He could feel Jace and Simon snickering as he got closer. He tried again to look away.

The the Boy spotted an empty seat just across from Alec. His face lit with relief, and he hurried towards it.

'Hey,' Clary said sharply.

The boy kept moving.

'Hey,' Clary said, 'Sparkles'

Jace started laughing. His friends fell in a few seconds behind him.

'You can't sit there,' Clary said. 'That's Izzy's seat.'

The boy stopped and looked up at Clary, then looked back at the empty seat.

'Sit down,' the driver bellowed from the front.

'I have to sit somewhere,' the boy said to Clary in a firm, calm voice.

'Not my problem,' Clary snapped. The bus lurched forward, and the boy rocked back to keep from falling. Alec tried to turn up the volume on his iPod, but it was all the way up. He looked back at the boy; it looked like he was about to cry. Before he'd even decided what to do, Alec scooted toward the window.

'Sit down,' he said. It came out angrily. The boy turned to him, like he couldn't tell whether he was another jerk or what. 'Jesus-fuck,' Alec said softly, nodding yo the space next to him, 'just sit down.'

The boy sat down. He didn't say anything - thank God, he didn't thank him - and she left six inches of space between them.

Alec turned toward the window and waited for a world of suck to hit the fan.