Chapter 9

Alec's POV

He was going to tell him that he did a good job on her book quote. That would be a giant understatement anyway. He was the only person in class who'd read his book quote like it wasn't an assignment. he recited it like it was a living thing. LIke he was letting out. You couldn't look away from him as long as he was talking. (Even more than Alec's usual not being able to look away from him.) When he was done a lot of people clapped and Mr Smith shook his hand. Which looked totally awkward.

'Hey. Nice job. In English.' That's what Alec was going to say. Or maybe, 'I'm in your English class. That book quote you read was cool.' Or, 'You're in Mr Smith's English cass right? Yeah, I thought so.'

Alec picked up his comic books after training Wednesday night, but waited until Thursday to read them.

Magnus's POV

That stupid blue-eyed kid totally knew that he was reading his comic. He even looked up at Magnus sometimes before he turned the page, like he was that polite.

He definitley wan't one of them, the bus demons. He didn't talk to anyone on the bus. (Especially not him.) But he was in with them somehow becuase, when Magnus was sitting next to him, they all left her alone. Even Clary. It made Magnus wish he could sit next to him all day long.

This morning, when he got on the bus, it kind of fet like he was waiting for him. He was holding a comic called Batman, and it looked so boring that Magnus decided not to bother eavesdropping. Or eavesreading. Whatever. (He liked it best when he read Hawkeye, or any other Marvel, even thought she didn't get everything that was going on there.) But Magnus didn't have anything else to do, so hre eyes wandered over to the boring-looking comic... And then she was reading. And then they were at school. Which was totally weird because they weren't even halfway through it. And which totally sucked because it meant he would read the rest during school, and have something lame like Superman out on the way home.

Except he didn't. When Magnus got on the bus that afternoon, the blue-eyed kid opened up Batman right where they'd left off. They were still reading it when they got to Magnus' stop - there was so much going on and they both stared at each frame for, like, entire minutes - and when he got up to leave, he handed it to him.

Magnus was so surprised he tried to and it back but he'd already turned away. He shoved the entire comic between her books like it was something secret, then got off the bus. He read it three more times that night, petting the scrubby cat. Then he put it in his special box overnight, so that nothing would happen to it.

Alec's POV

What if he didn't give it back? What if he didn't get to finish the first issue of Batman because he'd lent it to a boy who hadn't asked for it? If he didn't give it back, they were even. That would council out the whole 'Jesus-fuck-sit-down' senario.

Jesus... No it wouldn't. What if she did give it back? What was he supposed to say then? Thanks?

Magnus' POV

When he got to their seat, he was looking out the window. He handed him the comic, and he took it.