Prologue

There was once a magnificent kingdom known throughout the world as Everheart. In this kingdom, there were many subjects who loved the royal family for they were fair and just. The queen would venture through the kingdom and receive the worries of the people. She did so she might have the knowledge needed to help them solve their problems and ease their hearts of stress. The king, however, was keener on ruling from his throne- establishing peace with other kingdoms as threats of war waged in other lands. They were happy and their kingdom was at peace, the perfect time to have a child to call their own. The queen gave birth on the second of August on the day the Festival of the Fallen Sun was to be held. The kingdom rejoiced at the birth of their new royal member, a beautiful prince named Jamie Aldbourne.

Knowing the kingdom of Everheart would be distracted, General Malec initiated a coup and the entire royal family was slaughtered. The peace of Everheart was shattered and in its place was a tyrannous rule that was reigned over by the new king, Malec Grimes. The kingdom was thrown into a civil war that allowed neighboring kingdoms to take advantage and attack their borders. War waged on for over a decade, the resources of Everheart being wasted on fruitless attempts to solve the problems now burrowed deeply in its own roots.

As the strain of ruling and defending Everheart reached the tensest period of his ruling, King Malec became maddened by worry and paranoia of a coup inside the walls of the castle. He sent every advisor, every maid, and every scholar living inside the castle to their deaths in the middle of the capital's square. They were to be hung from the large branches of the ancient alder tree- the once greatest pride of the kingdom of Everheart.

People far and wide sought refuge in the neighboring kingdoms- begging for a place safe from their murderous king. Only so many were able to escape before the borders were shut and subjects were given a decree from their king. Those who fleed would be caught and executed while their families burned for their act of treason.

The kingdom of Everheart was trapped in an age of death and sorrow.