Noir extras: catalina island

Haribo might be his downfall, yet. She'd let him have two, then slapped the third from his hand when he'd reached for it.

"Oi, what was that for?"

Maddox resumed unpacking her weekend bag, most of its contents spread out on the bed between them. "Those are not regular gummy bears."

"Love, I've concluded that they're edibles." Harry stared at the bag, the Haribo gummies transferred from their original gold packaging into a Ziplock. There wasn't much in life he couldn't resist, but Haribo was another story all together.

Maddox stood up, carrying her toiletries into the adjoining master bathroom. "I know you know that, sweetheart," she said patiently, disappearing through the doorway, "but two is enough. Trust me."

She'd only had one herself, and her tolerance was miles beyond his. He wasn't any stranger to marijuana, not by a long shot, but he'd learned that Maddox could outsmoke him and anybody else with ease.

He didn't judge her, especially since he partook often, as well. Besides, everyone had their vices and it wasn't lost on him that she was so open about hers. It lessened the effects of her anxiety disorder, he'd learned.

Whatever helped.

And if his presence was even half as calming for her as hers was for him, they were in good shape.

He wasn't thinking about Siobahn or the label or how exhausted he usually was. His scope was largely on the woman dancing around the room in that damned Atlanta Falcons jersey and boyshorts, tying up damp, shower-fresh curls as she swayed her hips along to the music she'd put on. She held a joint in her hand, its tip glowing when she brought it to her lips and pulled, smoke flowing from between them seconds later, white vapors swirling around her head.

They'd made a quick run for takeout and returned to the penthouse, deciding to stay in for the night. Whether there was Netflix in the near future or another argument about Batman versus Superman, he was content knowing it'd include her.

A breeze blew in from the sea, flowing through the open balcony doors, their white curtains billowing through the air, gently brushing the potted palms on either side. Harry sat up against the headboard, taking it all in. This was where he was supposed to be.

Though his phone was in his hands, Maddox held his attention as she twirled near the balcony, her limbs loose and graceful in a show of relaxation, the most relaxed he could ever remember seeing her. The TV opposite the bed was powered on, but Maddox was much more entertaining.

"Having fun?" Harry asked, brows raised, an amused smile on his face.

"Time of my life," Maddox laughed, pausing to gyrate in her trademarked goofy sort of way, pleased when he laughed. "I'm just getting you right where I want you."

"Oh?"

"I told you I'd take care of you, yes?"

"Yes," he said as she bent over and peered at him between her legs. "I'm both horny and afraid."

But as the THC kicked in, he wasn't afraid of much. He just wanted her. Bad. Her situation wasn't necessarily a deal breaker. He wasn't a child. But when she was ready, he'd know.

Nevertheless, she was ready for something. She'd closed the curtain on her show and pranced over, climbing onto the bed to straddle his lap. She kindly pried his phone away and placed it face down on the night stand, then stubbed her half-smoked joint in the ashtray.

She placed her arms around his neck, letting them rest on his shoulders. "Hey."

His arms snaked around her waist as she settled into place. His hands squeezed her hips as she wiggled them in his grasp. "Hey."