Noir extras: the morning after

[extension of chapter six. enjoy!]

•••

It was the deepest, most rejuvenating sleep she'd had in months. And as she reached toward the side table, feeling around for her phone, she brought the screen into blurry vision and learned it was only a quarter to six. A mere two hours of slumber was somehow the most restful she could recall having recently. Through the drawn curtains, the faint beginnings of dawn shone. Through some miracle, the music played on, likely the source of the content of her dreams. Alicia Keys' voice floated through the air as Unthinkable played softly from the bedside.

While she adjusted to her surroundings, powering through sleep-induced stupor, she didn't need to wonder why. He was still at her side, his left arm draped across her waist. Maddox smiled as she traced her fingertips across the countless tattoos inked on his skin, wondering how she'd ever do without him again. It was different, now. While she'd always awaken with a mind full of chaos after nights with Sean, this morning, her thoughts.... were startlingly calm.

She didn't want to disturb him, but couldn't keep her hands to herself. Her fingertips rose higher, over his forearm, to the elbow, her nails dragging lightly over his biceps before coming to rest on his shoulder. But only for a moment, as she couldn't resist the call of his beautiful body. He stirred slightly as she raked her fingers through his hair, silently studying the man. Long lashes rested on his cheek, just above enviable cheekbones. She touched it all, slowly swiping her thumb across his gorgeous lips before dragging it across his sculpted jawline.

Maddox would miss him, when he went. There were only a few weeks between this tranquil, stolen moment and his departure overseas to resume touring. Sighing, she resolved not to give much thought, at least for the time being, and moved to leave the bed.  The alcohol had dried out her throat. As she slid toward the edge of the bed, Harry's hold tightened, keeping her rooted to the spot. She fell in love all over again.

"Where you goin'?" he asked, voice thick with sleep, eyes still closed.

"I need water, dude," she said, attempting to move once more, stopped when his grip stiffened once more. "Harry..."

"Don't want you to leave me," he mumbled, accent thicker than ever, but still didn't open his eyes as he moved closer, kissing her bare shoulder.

Maddox fought a smile, chewing her lower lip before she kissed his forehead. "I'm coming back."

"I'm quite comfortable."

After a moment, he relented, halfway under again as she began the escape for the kitchen. A nice, tall bottled water awaited. From the floor, she grabbed his shirt and threw it on, fastening a single button before making a dash for it, careful to close the door behind her. As she softly padded through the immense home, ignoring the soreness in her thighs, she listened for any signs of life. Not a peep; the dwelling was almost eerily silent. The others slept on.

Not unusual after a night of hardcore partying. Recalling her own hardcore partying days, nights in Atlanta when she frequented nightclubs and lounges alike, with nothing but a few bucks and a fake ID to her name. She'd always make it home, nice and intoxicated around four and wouldn't think about getting out of bed until at least eleven. By her calculations and experience, she figured she still had a while before having to worry about anyone disturbing them.

Water bottle in hand, she shuffled back into the bedroom, plopping down in her spot once more. Not two seconds passed before Harry's arm was around her again. She smiled to herself, focusing on screwing off the cap for a much needed sip.

"I thirst as well..."

"I got it for us to share. We've had sex now, I think I can deal with your germs," she teased, having drank the bottle down a quarter of the way. She handed it to him, basking in the relief. Propping himself up on his elbow, he turned to face her.