Unshed Tears

Chapter 29

Bai Shen Hong
Emperor Huizhong
Military Grounds Camp

Bai Shen Hong footslogged himself back into the war room, still feeling nauseated though he had just relieved himself. Eunuch Nam kowtowed behind him in case he became of use to him since he had just rejected his offer to assist him in walking.

"Your majesty, would his grace like it if this servant had the palace maids prepare something to help calm your stomach?"

"That will not be necessary." Shen Hong motioned his hand so the eunuch would leave. He had started to feel better but due to him joining his military servicemen in their daily dawn practise, his stomach had become upset again.

It was unlike him to have issues of the health, so he silently wondered whether his heart was no longer in good condition; would this spark to a bigger problem?

Huizhong breathed out and slumped his back on the zabuton cushions that padded his huge seat. The throne like seat was fashioned behind his massive table which he had used earlier with some of his generals to plot and strategize military matters.

Due to the setting and dimness of the room, it took him a while to realise that two subjects of his were bowed by the entrance, awaiting admission. Huizhong smiled, glad about the acquintaship they both had towards each other.

"Present yourself before me," he grinned.

They both rose up and unitedly made their greetings.

"Your majesty, what a pleasant honor to be offered the chance to have your audience." The twins tardily finished their greetings. Standing next to the other, they were definite replicas of each other.

Shen Hong nodded. "What has caused Li Jie and Li Jun to follow me here?"

"Your majesty, we have witnessed something that may be of importance to you." Li Jie was always the one who was keen to speak up.

Huizhong wondered what it could be; he had left everything in order at the palace.

Li Jie continued, "Forgive your servants but it has been discovered that General Feng has a lover from among the palace maids."

"And from the uniform she put on, it is right to think that the palace maid belongs to the Grand Consort Shu's entourage." Li Jun added.

Shen Hong's eyebrows fleetingly raised, caught off guard by the news. General Feng was not one to get up to such nonsensical business. It didn't make sense that after having come through so much to be a renown general, he would give up everything for a unworthy maid, especially if the inner court were to find out.

"Can this be verified?" he asked skeptically.

"He held her against the tree intimately, right Li Jun?" Li Jie did not shilly-shally.

"Yeh... yeh... and they fought like romantically involved lovers."

Emperor Huizhong shook his head in disbelief, but again, the twins had been his eyes and ears as he required for years. He had to trust their words.

"Very well, is that all?" He shifted in his comfort padded chair as his stomach rang loudly. His hand gently rubbed his stomach to settle himself down.

Li Jie hesitated for a moment before responding, "Your majesty, forgive your servants but that woman is the one who also poisoned you."

"Ridiculous." The emperor rebuked, a fist now savagely pronouncing on his hand.

"Your maj─"

"Your Royal Highness," Eunuch Nam rushed in and threw himself on the floor. "Your Highness!" He sobbed deeply.