the woman.

Atlanta, Georgia
Bernice Burgos.

A day in the life of her.

"I didn't know there would be so many people here," I mumbled as I walked along with the crowd of homeless people within the rescue center.

There were literally hoard's of homeless people coming in. Me being one of them of course.

It's been three months after the bombing on american soil. Germany and the Israelis had dropped half a nuclear bomb that destroyed parts of the US. Those places mostly being out on the West coast, parts of Canada, and Alaska was completely decimated.
They all are quarantined and under strict government and military confinement according to most news reports on TV.

"Burgos. You're cot bed is in section 14, row 7, number 3," my section officer said pointing to my bed.

"Thanks," I mumbled making my way to my cot and plopping down on it. I sat my blanket, two sheets, and one pillow beside my right thigh and covered my face with my hands, sighing hard.

I looked around the gloomy place from the over bright ceiling lights to the white walls to the semi-dusty grey floors, "Another new place and not enough space."

I got up and started making up my bed.

"Chow time!" an officer yelled.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Please make your way to the dining hall in the cafeteria where your scheduled dinners will be served..." the overpostive male announcer spoke in the PA system.

Upon entering the cafeteria, there were many lines based on which section you were from.

Thank the Lord my section wasn't super long!

I got in line while grabbing a tray.

Surprisingly this place actually has good food because a bitch was starving!

They had three different meals to choose from, lasagna with salad, chicken tenders and fries, or baked barbecue chicken smothered in curry sauce and candied yams on the side.

Oh I'm definitely getting the barbecue!

"I know damn well they have somebody's black momma in the back of that kitchen," I mumbled, chuckling to myself.

There's also two types of desserts, lemon cake or apple pie, and drinks being water or fruit punch.

I picked up a slice of lemon cake and a bottle of water, sitting them on my tray, to down everything out and because water is a natural thirst quencher. After getting my food, I went to go take a seat by myself.

•£•

Once dinner was over, according to the schedule everyone was commanded to go back to his or her cot in their sections.
We only had an hour to socialize and prepare for bedtime.

I understand structure and maintaining as much order as possible but come on now. A scheduled bedtime! Ridiculous!

Everyone is too depressed to go anywhere to be honest.

A lot of lives were lost in the war that the stupid US government created because the middle East warned them about retaliation against the US.

Obviously they didn't care.

The United States government wanted to take over the middle East and parts of Asia. They sent army after army killing innocent people left and right as if they didn't deserve to be alive.
But like I said, the government didn't care. They never ceased to.

Now look where that got everybody in the US at!

All of the Asian forces even planned together and bombed the white house down.
To be honest again, I really could care less about that being gone. My black ancestors built it and they weren't even allowed to live in it. Plus, Donald Trump's tan orange ass was president at the time and he was in there with his family.

After quickly showering and brushing my teeth in the women's laboratories, I got in my bed getting comfortable under my blanket when the lights were suddenly switched off making the moon's light shone through

"Everyone return to your bed cots according to your section. It is now 9PM which means it is time for bed as scheduled. Goodnight," the guy on the PA system announced.

All I heard were loud groans, complaints, and murmurs from those who couldn't take showers as they came from the restrooms going back to their beds.

•£•

Later the same night, I awoke from my sleep do to hearing some "noises" from several different sections.

I turned around and rubbed my eyes a bit seeing a couple having sex. The guy was on top of I'm assuming his girlfriend, just keeping quiet as much as possible while fucking.
I sat my head up some seeing other people in a little bit more of extreme sexual positions.

Chuckling, "Wowww," I mumbled slightly shaking my head from side to side, "Gotta get it on wherever you can I guess."

"If that ain't the truth," I heard some guy say quietly to me as I quickly turned my attention in his direction.

He was just lazily smiling at me in his bed while laying on his pillow.

I smiled back then blushed hard looking down which made him sit up some and smile more at me.

Who is this guy? He is attractive as fuck!

Swiftly turning around, I laid back down on my stomach resting my head atop of my arms propped up on my pillow and began stargazing and looking at the beautiful round moon that all shined through the large windows in the room

I sighed thinking about my life before the bombing and the wars.
It was peaceful and stress-free. I was a freelance clothing store model in Manhattan, a painter, and photographer.

I miss those quiet nights, especially when it rains or snows, that I'd make a good sweet cup of tea and just watch it all gracefully fall from the sky in my apartment.
Gosh it was such a blissful pleasure!
I miss it a lot.

Eventually I fell back to sleep, dreaming of times before.

Thoughts anyone?