Snarling Rescue

Her heart pounded as she rounded the corner. Her legs screaming at her to stop to rest. The sharp pain of her breath was starting to grow out from her lungs In a strong burning sensation and she knew she didn't have much longer. The town was completely quiet, silent except for the passing houses where she could hear families laughing, arguing, being together. She'd never had a family, but now was not the time to think of that. She felt a sudden pain rip through her spine and nearly tripped in her unnaturally fast strides.

She dived behind a building and doubled over, her backside against the wall, holding her stomach tightly as if to stop what she knew was coming by force. She lifted green eyes to the evening sky and groaned aloud. Her jade eyes were spreading yellow from the pupil out, her sight sharpening and senses accelerating. She turned and looked around the corner of the building where she heard the dog barking. An alert bark.

Six men, running down the street and heading her way, she felt another ripple of pain go through her body and nearly fell down from it. But she couldn't, to stop now would be suicide. She ran down the street and burst through the trees diving into the darkening forest. Her feet moved swiftly and barely touched the ground as her hair started to change from blond to white. She looked at the black sky and could almost feel the moon rising over the mountains. No, no, no. She couldn't change now, she had to get somewhere safe. Her black clothes made her blend with the shadows as the men and the dogs started to follow her scent.

She could hear the dogs, growling from many many yards away, their echoes bouncing off the trees. She didn't want to change now, no. She dived behind a large pile of stones and collapsed on all fours. Her breath coming out quickly from the adrenaline coursing through her system. She looked up at the sky with bright yellow eyes and caught the first glimpse of the full moon through the trees. Agony tore through her body and made her back arc and her tongue bleed as she bit it to keep from screaming. 

White silvery hair erupted on her skin and her teeth began to fall out as fangs and sharp canines emerged from her gums. She tore at her clothes as her body began to change and lengthen. She fell to the ground as her legs shattered and mended in the proper wolf form. She groaned and it turned into a deep growl. Her face lengthened agonizingly and soon a snout was on her face and a pink tongue flat in her mouth. She moaned as her spine lengthened with painful snaps of bone and stretching skin. Her legs kinked up and claws sprouted from white furry fingers. Her sense of smell escalated and ears moved to the top of her head and pointed up ward. She flung her head back and let out a pure triumphant howl at her transition.

They were coming.

The hunters.

She snarled at the moon and gave another great howl from her jaws.

A mutt dog leaped from over the rock pile and latched onto her hackles.

Stupid mongrel.

She reached back and ripped the small creature from her back.

He reeked of man.

She threw him and heard the crack of his spine as he buckled on a tree, a merciful death for the dull creature.

Man.

She turned to feed on the dog when a sound alerted her from behind. She whorled around just as one human topped the rocks and pointed a gun at her. She snarled and he fired. Netting, she lay on her back as the humans descended on her. Tying her into the thick ropes and strapping her to the ground. She struck out at the men growling and snarling her displeasure and fear.

They were on her.

Like rodents swarming a carcass.

She snapped but they avoided her jaws.