Chapter Four: Old "Friends"

Sapphire

It's been about four days now since I left the pack. I worry every day about the members, especially the pups and Kaylee.. Kaylee is the Omega Female of the pack, meaning she is the weakest female there. I have no doubt they're worried about me as well since I had left.

I know for a fact Ronan is out there still trying to look for me, but I've been keeping my tracks hidden. I even changed my appearance to a young innocent village girl with auburn brown hair and emerald green eyes, complete opposite of my raven black hair and bright blue and amber eyes. I just got to keep my alias in check so nobody knows my real identity.

Liam has been helping me stay hidden by telling everyone I'm his childhood friend from his old village. I gotta repay him somehow, maybe give him a potion or something. I look through the books Liam brought me so can research more about wolf culture. I don't understand how someone went from decent to having no manners at all.

"Valentina~!" A familiar voice rings out throughout my cabin, having me look up from my book to see who called my name.

"Oh, hey Grayson!" I smile when I see the taller male standing in the doorway, leaning slightly as he used his arm to keep himself propped up. Grayson was someone I met a couple days ago as I was shopping at the food market. He really is a sweet guy, even has a wife named Lilian and a little three year old daughter named Catori, meaning spirit in his native language. I'm like a little babysitter with Catori when the parents are busy.

"Thank you for looking after Catori for a couple days when Lily and I needed to go to the neighboring village to pick up a couple things from her family." Grayson thanked as he stood up straight and rubbing the back of his neck, almost acting as if I'd be bothered about it.

"It was really no problem at all! She's in my room taking a nap if you want to go get her." I mentioned as I gestured to the open bedroom door where a sleeping toddler was snoozing away. I watched as Grayson gently picked up his daughter and walked out of the cottage after saying a quick goodbye. After he left, I ended up going back to reading the book I had in my hands. Even though it's been a while, I still wonder how everyone is doing at the pack house. Hopefully there haven't been any major casualties. I wish I was able to say that sentence without the major part, but knowing Ronan, there had to be one. There is another thing that been really running my thoughts recently, and that's how Liam's eyes turned from green to red.

"Knock, knock~" Speak of the devil himself. Liam waltzed on in before plopping himself down in the seat beside me. "How's my little witch friend doing?" He teased with a slight wiggle of his eyebrow to be funny.

"Ha, ha very funny. I'm doing fine though, thank you for asking." I said after I let out a small chuckle at his very childish behavior. Before I knew it, I felt a slight change in the atmosphere and I'm assuming I wasn't the only one as Liam's body language changed immensely. "You sense it too don't you?" I asked, placing my book down on the coffee table to the other side of me. I watched as Liam nodded before watching his eye color flicker again while he took in a deep breath, as if he was sniffing the air..? Is he a werewolf too?

"When was the last time you heard anything from that Gods forsaken hellhole you call a pack house?" Liam asked as he adjusted his posture, seeming a lot more tense than he did when he first arrived at the cottage.

"I haven't heard anything since I left. In their culture, someone who has been banished from the pack is never to be spoken to. If I remember correctly anyway." I answered as I tried to remember the actual reason why that law was put into place. I always believed it was a culture thing. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a Ronan thing, though.

"Sapph- I mean, Val. I have to tell you something, but in a more private area. I believe we're being watched." After that last sentence left Liam's lips I knew at that moment what he meant. Ronan must've sent scouts to the village to get intel on the new girl, which is the alias I have been going under and I'm pretty positive that he's on to me. "If it can't be a private area, I'm sure you have a spell to make an area of silence if you catch my drift." I nodded since I understood what he meant. In that moment, I mumbled a small incantation that surrounded only me and him in a soundproof ball so he can tell me what he wanted to tell me.

"It's safe. Nobody can hear us outside of this area." I informed him as I looked into his emerald green eyes, that quickly shifted to a deep red color.

"Sapphire. I'm a vampire."