three

Three

Cait's eyes flew open and she gasped for breath. Gideon was leaned over her, his hands in a sort of fist on her chest. As he leaned back, she sat up, her lungs seemingly unable to work properly. She gasped for breath still, and after two tries it finally worked. The air filled her lungs slowly and she laid back down.

"Are you okay?" Gideon asked, more emotion in his voice that she would've expected.

"No." Cait breathed out, still trying to catch her breath. "What happened?"

"I woke up to your gasping," He said, "You were so pale and when I reached over you were as cold as ice. It was then, you'd stopped breathing."

Cait closed her eyes, she was almost ready to sit up. "How did you wake me up?"

"It's called CPR." Gideon replied bluntly, and Cait knew he wasn't going to elaborate.

Cait stood up, only half way because they were still in the small cave, and made her way around Gideon and out of the cave.

The day was warm and the snow had stopped. She sat down in the mouth of the cave and stared out at the landscape before her. Cait heard Gideon moving around in the cave, probably packing their stuff up. She knew she should probably be helping him, but there was something wrong. Not physically, but it was like she wasn't whole, like a part of her was still in a dream.

Cait heard Gideon come up beside her and sit down. "What was it like?" he asked, his eyes squinted against the rising sun.

"I was in a hospital. It was pretty frantic and everything was black and white. They started to use shock pads on me and it started getting colorful again. Then I woke up, here, with you."

Gideon was quiet, silently contemplating her words. "That happened to me a couple times when I first came. But they stop eventually."

Cait turned her head to look at Gideon, his hair naturally was very suave looking, sort of like her brothers' but thicker and much darker, his face was all angles and she noticed that he had a scar marring the side of his throat.

"What was this person before you?"

Before Gideon could answer, Cait's mind was filled with images of Nova and whoever Gideon was before. They were standing back to back with swords pointed at people around them. Before either of them could act, an arrow whizzed through the air and struck him square in the heart. Nova was stunned for a second, but dropped her sword and rushed to him. It was too late, and her distraction led to her being grabbed by a hulking man dressed in black. The memory ended.

"He died." Cait said furrowing her eyebrows in confusion.

Gideon looked at her, his face portrayed no emotion.

Cait didn't look away from Gideon, as she took in the new information. Gideon had said that he had died before he'd come here, and if she'd died in that car crash what did that mean?

Gideon's stare was guarded, none of his emotions leaked through, and Cait wondered if they ever would.

She stood and looked out. There, amongst the trees was a small band of people. Gideon stood too and they stayed still. Cait's heart started to beat faster, if the people came any closer, they would have to run and Cait was sure that she wouldn't make it far.

One of the people stopped and had a bow off of his back in a matter of seconds. An arrow was drawn and pointed directly at Cait and Gideon.

"Come closer." He growled, his voice carried easily on the wind.

Cait glanced to Gideon, who nodded curtly. Together, they crept forward slowly, their hands in the air.

The group was of four, two boys and two girls. The boys and one of the girls looked to be around their middle teens, and the other girl looked to be about ten.