eleven

Eleven

With no more information about who had betrayed their location, the Breeze decided as one to carry on as if everything was normal.

She hadn't spoken with Gideon since the day before. He knew she needed her space, and she knew he knew. If they had happened to cross paths, he would awkwardly slide away without a word spoken. She had a feeling that their silence wouldn't last long but she vowed she wouldn't be the one to break it.

Tym and Cait had walked around nearly the entire fair together, mostly just talking. Cait found that she really actually enjoyed his company.

There was a party two days after Cait had woken up, but it wasn't until later in the evening, so Cait spent the day inside her caravan. She was reading, but found herself staring at the same line on the page for longer than a couple of minutes. So she moved to the closet and started trying on random outfits.

When she had gone through the entire closet, and put everything back to its rightful place. She started looking through Nova's things. The little places that she hadn't thought to look in before. Like the little jewelry box on her nightstand, which held a bundle of notes. Upon closer inspection, they were all love letters from Silas.

Cait thumbed through them, but didn't really read any of it. She tapped the bundle of letters against her hand as if she were trying to get them in order, but she found her eyes wandering to the fireplace.

Should she burn them? They weren't rightfully hers.

Lost in thought, she barely noticed when one of the letters fell out of her hands and onto the floor. She pulled herself back into reality and kneeled down to get it.

This particular letter was heavier and lumpier than the others, and unlike the others, it was unopened.

Cait placed the other letters on the bed and sat down with the unopened one in her lap. She weighed it and tried to figure out what was inside.

Suddenly Nova's memory took over.

Nova was dressed in the outfit she wore on the night she met Tym, the night she and Silas had been kidnapped.

She'd just received Silas's letter and was laying on her bed, thinking.

She was going to see Silas that night when they finally fled together so why open the letter now? She bit her lip, maybe he was having second thoughts and this was his way of backing out.

Nova's mind got the better of her and she hid the letter with the rest of his letters to her, unopened.

At that exact moment, Fifika came in. "Tymothy is here." She said, a small encouraging smile present on her face.

"And I care why?" Nova huffed, stomping toward Fifika.

Fifika smiled sympathetically.

The memory ended. Nova had never opened the letter because she'd been taken prisoner.

Cait nodded to herself, then gently tore open the envelope. Obviously, Silas hadn't been wanting to say that he was backing out, so Cait needed to know.

She read the letter before she saw whatever it was that made the envelope lumpy.

My Dear Little Starling,

Although I will see you on the day this letter is delivered, I want to give you a gift before you meet Tymothy. Just to remind you that I will always be there for you even when I can't always be next to you.