The Group From Somewhere Near Hell

The table is long, but not long enough to put actual distance between me and my group. I see one other girl, and a crossdresser-I think- in the merry band of delinquents,  and have to struggle to hold in my groan.

" This project will determine your final grade in my class. Don't fail." The teacher smiles, trying to intimate us with the whole, 'I smile, you're dead' technique but failing. However a certain hopelessness grasoed my body as I realize that failing will kill my future.

" Okay,  how many of you have read this book?" I ask. Two hands go up, both male. I feel like crying in both relief and dispair.

" Do either of you want to lead this?" I ask them, recieving two head shakes. That leaves me.

" I have read this book five times in the last year. I can tell you when something happened and tell you the exact page. Therefore, I lead." I sigh, when the girl looks up from her phone and says she will.

" Whats your name?" The crossdresser asks.

" My names Alice, and I expect you to read this book by next week."

------------

The groans and sighs were enough to tell me that none of them were pleased. I decided not to waste my time nor my breath on these rejects this class, instead opening the book I brought from home and enjoying their hateful mumbled comments. A boy next to me, one of the ones who had raised his hand smiles at me.

" Alice, huh?" He laughs, fiddling with his pencil.

" Yes, its hilarious. " I monotone,  giving him a look.

" I'm Derrick.  My favorite character had to be Alice,"

" Because shes the main character?"

" No. She has strength and bravery when most books at that time have damsels in distress.  And she's imaginative,  withstanding all the hateful remarks she gets because it."

I stare at him in disbelief,  as he states why I love Alice so much.

" My favorite characters the Cheshire Cat, because he's mysterious and unique. His riddles amuse me." I respond, not quite happy with how I worded it. His grin tells me that he doesn't mind.

"I like the Mad Hatter and his unique way of seeing the world." The boy across from him smirks, plugging his ears immediately and turning up the heavy rock music that poared out of them.

The class is spent in silence as most of them start reading, Music boy naps, and Derrik sketches.

Failure is inevitable.