Prolouge: After the Barrier

DISCLAIMER: OF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED UNDERTALE OR KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT OTHER THAN YOUR FRIEND'S RAVING AND MEMES, GET OUTTA HERE. SPOILERS (watch DanTDM or Markiplier's playthroughs)

----------------------
" heh, you actually did it kid. Didn't think you had it in your bones."

The small human and the short skeleton were standing right at the forest's edge, about to enter the town below, and Monsters would finally, finally be free of their mountain prison, the Underground. Too bad it had taken the human 10 deaths, ten loads to make it here. The scars from Undyne's fight left bright, patience coloured blue scars on their legs, promptly hidden by the child's pant leg.

Frisk allowed themselves a chuckle. Besides, what they were about to do? That would be the dealhammer.

"So, kid. Ya gonna RESET, or what? Will ya hold that false hope that much longer?"
Frisk just gave the short skeleton a serious look that averted his gaze. They knew what he was talking about. A RESET, allowed the most determined souls to never truly die. Always wake up again, and turn back time.

And it had been used 10 times.
Twice they'd been to the surface before this, and each time it has barely lasted  half an hour. Frisk, once upon a time, had refused to accept the consequences of their actions. Each time, the skeleton's permanent grin became a bit more forced. Now, in a turn of events, they knew better. Stars Above, this was going to be the best run they'd ever had. And it would never end.

But first the skeleton needed to believe that, and Frisk had to remove temptation.

Sans, let me get this straight. I will never RESET again. And this time? The difference is, I actually won't be able to. Frisk signed to him. She had a look of pure, hard DETERMINATION on her face now, not that uncertain expression. It was a promise that had already been broken. Twice.

Santa's eyesockets became pinpricks, just short of going entirely dark.
"what are you going to do." He didn't know what to expect. Would the kid RESET anyway? Or would they actually stop? In order not to get his hopes up, he settled for the former.

Frisk took him into the LOAD SAVE RESET space, a dark, void-like space, and found the button in question, and raised her fist over it, almost as if she'd press it. Before the Snowdin-hailing skeleton could do anything however, she put her fist right through the glass like button, smashing it to pieces before his eyes. Sans's permanent grin, looked genuine for the first time Frisk had met him. All those timelines ago.

C'mon Sans! Let's see the surface! Properly this time!

----------------------------------------
A/N: This fanfic has a few Glitchtale similarities, but I'm gonna do my best to keep it my own. Still, vote if you love Undertale/ Its AU's
YES IN THIS AU FRISK IS FEMALE, but goes with gender neutral or female pronouns. I agree generally with the gender-neutral idea, but I picture Frisk as female. So if you don't agree, just interpret the story as if it's in a neutral POV. After all, its just my take on it.
Frisk isn't mute, they just prefer signing to speaking in certain situations.
This chapter is short because I want to keep the unnecessary spaces out mostly.

Cover Image by Camila Cuevas

570 words.