Chapter 1 - No Control

Cassian walked swiftly through the forest. His sword clutched firmly between his hands as he stepped over jagged roots.

He luckily didn't have to listen to his Commander now. He was finally away from the camp, finally able to relax. Although he just had to hope nobody was here to attack him.

After circling the area he wanted to relax at many more times, he managed to finally feel secure and safe.

Cassian listened closely as birds chirped from trees. As animals went around hunting for prey. A fox stepped in front of him, the fox gazed at him directly in the eyes for a long moment, before moving on.

Cassian sighed, letting his body relax slowly.

"Hello, Cassian."

Cassian leaped to his feet, drawing his sword immediately. He relaxed when he noticed it was Betty behind him.

"Oh, hi."

Cassian, put his sword back on his back. Not wanting to look threatening anymore than he appeared. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing," Betty replied, them she smiled, "Besides, you seemed pretty lonely."

Cassian shook his head, "That's the only thing you observe?"

"The Commander knew where you went, he needs to talk to you."

Cassian sighed, "Very well. I'll come along then."

Cassian followed Betty out of the forest, taking one last glance at the forest behind him before leaving the forest entirely.

~*~

Cassian stood in front of his Commander. "Cassian," his Commander turned toward him, "I have a mission for you. I need you to go with some others to scout ahead at a kingdom we plan on attacking. Got it?"

Cassian nodded, "Very well, Commander, I'll try my best."

Cassian turned and walked out of the room. Mounting his horse, he grabbed the ropes around it. Cassian scratched his horse's chin. He lashed the ropes, telling his horse to begin heading off.

The wind blew in Cassian's face as he raced toward the kingdom he needed to scout.

The gate approached quickly like a tsunami rushing toward a beach. Cassian slowed to a halt, guards stood by the gate. Their sharp spears as sharp as thorns.

"What are you here for?"

"Visiting my family that lives here." Cassian replied instantly.

"Who are the others?"

"Guards. They choose to protect me, even though I told them not to come." Cassian answered.

"Very well. Come on in, your guards can stay here outside. We won't allow them in."

Cassian glanced with sorrow at Betty. Who seemed to understand what he was thinking. He trotted in with his horse, leaving the rest of his group behind him.

The gate lifted up as he entered, then went slowly down after he went into the main castle. He was in now, he just had to figure out what security precautions they have. He already figured out how to open the gate, he just had to report back what he sees.

Cassian passed by a small group of soldiers, the middle and back held swords, while the front held long, pointed spears. Sticking out like a bare branch on a tree.

He noticed the castle in the center of it all. He narrowed his eyes at it, looking at the security precautions they have. Archers lined the top of the castle, some in towers, along the top of the wall in between bricks, and in windows.

Cavalry and infantry stood outside of the castle as well, with two big wooden doors looming over them all. From what he knew, assassination wouldn't do. They would have to enter by force, or get the king or queen to surrender by threat of invasion. Which highly wouldn't work, or tell them dragons or Flaming Wolves were coming.

It seemed like that could work, the castle was covered in stone bricks, with white lined in between them. Banners draped down from the two towers visible. The banner was blue, with a black dragon along with black lines on either side, expanding down toward the tip.

It looked fairly nice, although the stone was a bit bland.

Cassian decided he would leave now, he had a reason to.

His horse trotted up to the gate. The guards didn't seem very pleased to see him so soon. "Why are you leaving?"

"My family didn't want me to visit them. So they just sent me away."

The guard nodded understandingly. "You may leave then." The gate lifted open with a creaking noise of the sound of rusting chains lifting up the gate.

Cassian went under the gate, to reach the other side. Where grass expanded for miles. "Good luck with your job, sir."

Cassian sped off with the rest of his crew toward back toward his home.

~*~

"I like what you've seen. We could use that to penetrate the castle. You'll be on break for now."

Cassian nodded, "Would you like me to do anything else for now?"

"No. Thank you for asking though."

Cassian bowed politely to his Commander. Cassian pushed through the doors in the doorway. He stepped in the main area of his castle.

Mounting his horse again, this time, he ran off into an unknown direction.

Cassian enjoyed it, riding his horse through the grassy plains. It's all he could ask for. He hoped his best bud wouldn't die on him during battle.

Cassian whipped the ropes he held. His horse slowed to a stop. Cassian got down delicately from his horse. Strolling over to the lake nearby, he put his bottle in it.

Cassian turned around, only for an explosion to blast him into the lake. Cassian immediately swam to the top. A dragon now landed near the lake. Cassian swam carefully to the shore. Cassian slowly got out of the lake once the dragon looked away.

Cassian pulled out his sword.

Cassian ran and leaped at the Dragon, attempting to stab it in the neck. Only to be thrown off the dragon.

Cassian stood up, only to be whacked away by the dragon's tail. Cassian shot upwards, charging toward the dragon.

Cassian evaded the dragon's swinging tail trying to send him through the air like an arrow. Cassian leaped onto it's back, clutching it tightly.

Cassian attempted to stab it straight through the stomach. Only, to sink right through a portal.

Cassian landed with a thud onto a dark forest floor. Clouds soared above him, something clicked beside him. To be followed by a series of loud Bang! Bang! Bang!

Cassian immediately shot around. A hoard of something approached him slowly.

"Quickly, get behind me!"

Cassian shook his head and pulled out his sword.

"What are these things?"

"Do you really want to know?"

Cassian nodded to the voice.

"They are Lurkers."