I: The Season Is Upon Us

The Season is upon us. In all my years never have I seen it this early. Something of an eerie sight. Yes, I was up to see it happen. I watched the Things pull the corn stalk into their Burrows, in the back of my field. Watched as it seemed my Year's labor seemingly recede into the ground. I'd have to pick now to avoid the Shunning. 9th Moon is a while away still. I hate being in back. This is a bad Year. This is too early. The Season is upon us.

I spent all the following lights hours picking as much crop as I could. Which, wasn't a lot. I brought it in my home too, just in case the Things decided to dig under the barn. I ain't taking any chances. Not this year. I'm in mood for a trade of plots. Even if only with my neighbor, I just got to move up. Got to be closer to Town. Got to make sure last Year don't happen again.

The dark hours approached and I went in with my crop. Had I done good enough? No matter, I'd wait till sunrise and do it all over again. Just like every Year. I figured I'd wait to weigh it so as to not feel the disappointment of finding out I'm far from Quota yet. Damn Quota. Plus if the Town's folk saw me they knew it was Season again and they'd immediately get to work.

One good thing about being in back: You have a head start. At least... if your neighbors don't tattle.

I saw next sunrise, Jack's field got 'em too. Damn Things.

It was worse than last light hours'. I barely had enough crop to feed myself, nonetheless enough to add to my Quota. This Year really was going to be a bad one. No, its only the beginning. There is plenty of time to make up for this. I gave what little I had for myself to Ham. Cute little Ham. Go not a care in this world. I need to keep him from going outside now. The Things might swallow him hole if he's out during the dark hours. He'll oink at me for a while, I'm sure, but it's only for a bit.

During the dark hours, something real strange happened. Not only was the Things here earlier than normal, they were cutting through faster than normal to. How do I know. My home creaked more than usual that night. I went to the downstairs and put my ear to the floor. I could here digging. Burrowing. The Things were Burrowing under my home. Damn. That's when I really realized, this Year, it ain't just going to be bad, it's going to be catastrophic.