Unconditional Love

“Mina if you don’t put that guitar down we’re going to be late!” Myles said through the door.

“Dad will understand! Just let me finish this!” I was frantically scribbling down what I’d been playing on a whiteboard so I could remember it for later. We were supposed to have lunch with my parents while we were all in town. Myles had just come back from another trip to Australia, Dad was about to leave for South America, and I would be heading out for Europe in a few weeks. I finished writing it all down and stuck the guitar I’d been using back into the case.

We’d set up our spare room as a makeshift studio. It was a little cramped in there with all of our equipment, but it would have to do. We’d decided to start looking for a house next year so we could have an actual studio at home that would allow both of us to work at the same time, or at least share the space. Half of my guitars were still at the old apartment, mixed in with Lola’s gear.

“All right, I’m done.” I said as I walked into our living room. I’d abandoned my shoes by the couch earlier and I slipped them back on now. Myles was sitting on the couch with Milkshakes curled up on his lap. That cat loved him more than she loved me. I can’t say I wasn’t a little bitter about that.

“I swear, I have must have a blinking neon sign on my lap that says “good for cat naps.” He shifted her off and onto the couch, ignoring her mew of protest.

“That’s funny, I’ve always seen a different blinking neon sign.” I winked at him. “Am I driving or you?”

“If I drive we’ll get there next week. How the hell do you manage the traffic?”

“I’ve lived in Los Angeles for the last ten years and Dad was the one who taught me to drive.”

“That explains why you’re so aggressive.” He opened the door for me and let me walk under his arm to get to the elevator.

“My father has absolutely the worst road rage I’ve ever seen in my life. Even George is a calmer driver.”

“Remind me to never get in the car with your friends.” A short elevator ride later, we were making our way through the parking structure to my car. Myles’s car was still up in Spokane, which was probably the best place for it. We were planning on keeping his apartment up there and we’d need a car when we were staying there. Besides, how often were the two of us in town at the same time?

“I promise to protect you from them. I’m the only one who hasn’t gotten a speeding ticket yet.” Not that I didn’t speed on occasion, but I was definitely the best one at talking my way out of the ticket.

The place where we were meeting my parents was about twenty minutes away usually, but there was an accident so it took thirty. By the time we got there, they were already sitting down looking at the menu.

“Sorry guys, traffic was awful.” I said, leaning down to kiss them both. Myles always seemed a little worried that he was going to get slapped whenever he greeted my parents, but they were welcoming.

“So what are you two crazy kids up to today?” Dad asked as we started examining our own menu.

“I had to tear her away from her guitar, so I’m guessing she’s going back to that later.” Myles said.

“Like father like daughter.” Mom said dryly. I couldn’t help but laugh. Dad was notorious for shutting out the world when he got going.

“Trust me, if I wasn’t in the studio he would be in there.” I smiled fondly at Myles. “Maybe two guitarists getting married was a bad idea.”

“Hardly.” He gave me a peck on the lips.

“I should have gotten a picture of that.” Mom muttered, more to herself than to any of us.