Chapter 14

Ella's POV

"How does la petite rivière sound for dinner?" Harry asked casually as he pealed sweet potatoes over the sink. The smell of turkey lingered strongly throughout the building, including Harry's apartment, but that wasn't surprising considering it was Christmas Day. There was also an aroma of herbs, garlic, and spices that had my mouth watering before I had even had a chance to greet Harry when I arrived. 

"I haven't heard of it." I knew a lot of the good restaurants in the area as I typically made the reservations for them but that name was not familiar to me. Maybe it was new? "Did you need me to make a reservation? Are you meeting with one of the client's?" I found it odd that Harry was doing business around the holidays. 

"No," Harry chuckled, looking up at me. He had this spark in his eyes and I knew I was missing something here. I felt a pull at my pant leg and looked down to see Annabelle pulling at my leg. I bent down and gathered her in my arms before turning back to Harry. 

"Your daddy is keeping secrets," I told her as if he couldn't hear me. I snagged a piece of strawberry off of a small platter and Annabelle took it from my fingers. 

"I'd beg to differ," He argued with a smirk. "It's more of a surprise."

I sat down on the bar stool with Annabelle on my lap. "I hate surprises."

"Oh, alright. Never mind then." Harry shrugged and went back to focusing on his potatoes but that little smirk lingered on his lips. He knew I wouldn't be able to resist.

I rolled my eyes and huffed dramatically, secretly a little excited as to what Harry had up his sleeve. But he didn't need to know that. "Alright, one-fifty-four. What's this surprise."

"I thought you hated surprises, one-fifty-two." He teased, quirking an eyebrow at me. 

"And this is exactly why." I gave Annabelle another little piece of strawberry. 

"You're cute when you pout." Harry was enjoying this way too much. And I hated how much I loved that cheeky smirk of his. 

I kept quiet and snagged a piece of fruit for myself, giving Harry a look. He laughed and finally admitted his intentions. "I finally got the call and I need to go down to France to sort out the mess they've created. I need you to go with me."

We'd been waiting for that call for weeks now. Harry was constantly on conference calls with the France office, trying to help navigate them through a business deal. The location was smaller, with less employees at their disposal, so orchestrating such a big deal could be difficult at times. Our office was very much involved in the deal and Harry, being chief of information, was often called on for help. 

I instantly replied, eager to help Harry in any way that I could. "Of course. When do we leave?" 

"As soon as we are back from the holidays," Harry explained. "And I was thinking we could have that date while we are there."

"You want to go on a date in France?" I repeated, stunned. Harry, as thoughtful as ever, wanted to sweep me off my feet in France. Just when I think Harry can't up his game anymore, he plans this.

"Rouen to be exact, yes." 

I'm dangerously close to falling in love with this beautiful man. And that thought scares the shit out of me. Love could cause so much pain. The kind that eats away at you every day until you're entirely consumed by it. I thought after him, I'd be immune to the charms of men and yet somehow Harry has me on the precipice of falling, practically dangling off the edge of a cliff. The feeling of being there gave me such a high but I knew the landing would hurt so badly.