4: The War Proper

A/N: IMPORTANT! The next chapter will probably result in bump in the rating to Mature. There's no sex, just heavy petting and Magnus being his usual fabulous self. But I'm not sure where the Mature rating begins on this website. I asked the Wattpad admin but never got a response so I'm playing it by ear. Just fyi.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week after the incident that shall never be mentioned on pain of death, Alec was struggling to come up with another way to make Magnus titter. The clever warlock had begun to watch his every step whenever he entered the Institute or interacted with Alec and his siblings. Alec was running out of ideas. It was a desperate situation.

Thankfully, Clary was a sneaky little rat when she put her mind to it. Alec knew this, but that didn't mean he was going to go with her idea. When she skipped up to him, a sugary sweet smile on her face earlier that morning, Alec had been suspicious. When she presented him with a huge, fluffy feather he was confused and suspicious. Then she just winked and said, "Trust me."

That was how Alec ended up sitting in the corner table in the workout room staring blankly at a big, fluffy, hot pink feather in his hands. Trust Clary? With what? What was he supposed to do with a feather? Context? Please? Someone?

He sighed and dropped his head so it thunked gently against the metal table's surface. He groaned and squeezed his eyes shut. He wanted to hear that cute little laugh again. It was so adorable. And Magnus's face whenever he was caught making that precious little sound was a rare and treasured sight.

Alec could count on one hand the number of times he'd seen his favorite warlock blush so brightly. Magnus's usual smooth exterior deteriorated into the stuttering and stumbling of a school boy leaving Alec awestruck. He just knew a goofy grin was on his face whenever Magnus fell into that adorable state of befuddlement.

He just wanted to hear that little sound.

"You know," a very welcome voice said close to Alec's ear, "if you wanted to take a nap, I'm sure there are many more comfortable places."

Alec lifted his head and saw Magnus watching him with sparkling eyes and a cheeky grin. He felt an answering smile stretch across his face and he sat up. He hadn't intended to take a nap. But he must have seeing as most of the other Shadowhunters had left the room.

He scratched his head in embarrassment and realized he was still holding the huge feather. Color seeped into his cheeks and he set the feather down. Magnus lifted an eyebrow and plucked the feather from the table to run his fingers through the soft barbs.

"I had no idea you liked feathers," Magnus said glancing at his lover.

The flush in his cheeks deepened. "Clary gave it to me," he said shrugging. "She just said," he made exaggerated air quotes, "'trust me' and left." He shook his head. "I don't get it."

Magnus chuckled. "Clary has a unique sense of humor," he admitted. "Even I don't always understand it." He handed Alec back the feather and sat comfortably on the corner of the table. "But that's not why I'm here," he said briskly. "I came to see how you were doing. I heard about the mission last night."

Alec heaved a sigh and leaned back in his chair, running his hands down his face. "Eidolon demons," he said. "They kept changing into us. It was a mess."

"So I heard," Magnus said wryly. "Are you alright?" he asked, sincere concern in his voice.

"I'll be fine."

Alec waved away Magnus's concern in favor of picking up the feather again. On a whim, he brushed the feather gingerly against the warlock's face. Magnus crinkled his nose and moved his face to avoid the ticklish brushes.