Chapter 3-Snacks

Chapter 3-Snacks ((1867 words)) mood

      I woke up to the terrible, terrible sound of my alarm which is set to Radar. Flinging a blanket off of myself, I began the search for my dear phone. When I finally found it, it was wedged between the bed and the wall. I grabbed it before the alarm could snooze again, hurting my hand in the process. Relief flooded my body as I turned off the alarm, making a mental note to turn it off for forever--or at least the summer--at some point soon.

       I dragged myself across the room and checked myself in the mirror, so that on the off chance that Ally was awake, I wouldn't startle her with my appearance. My hair was sat on my head like a hat, all knotted and nasty, so I decided to brush it out before someone called animal control. Heck, I might just cut it off before I leave the house the next time.

       My arm felt like it would fall off after brushing my hair for so long, but at least it's now identifiable as hair. I sighed, grabbed my phone, and went to go make some coffee. The sun had just barely risen above the horizon, casting a golden hue throughout the house. Absolutely superb job, Sun. I walked into the kitchen and had already started filling the coffee pot with water, when I heard another alarm going off. For some reason, Ally had chosen Marimba as her alarm, but it's too early to question her poor life decisions. Pouring water into the coffee machine, I listened as she groaned loudly and struggled to get out of bed.

       50ish minutes later, the coffee was done, and I was sitting on the couch drinking some when Ally finally arose from her tomb. Her black hair was up in a braid, and her makeup caused her to look like a sun-kissed angel, but she was still in sweats for some reason. She sat herself down at my feet, looking excited. "So Nat, my dear, sweet, amazing roomie, since I don't want you cooped up doing nothing all summer, I've decided to take you and me... And my friends... on a trip!" She squealed, as if she was the one getting surprised with a trip.

       "Oh?" I asked, trying to act like I hadn't heard her talk about the trip to... I think his name is Zeke? Anyhow, she didn't seem to notice my false confusion over her own joy. This trip she has planned must be fire.

     "Yea! Just a little camp out in a cabin upstate, It'll be fun! Plus, Zach and his friends are coming, which means squad adventures, just like we've always wanted!" She beamed, acting like a five-year-old about to go to Disney.

        "How long?"

       "A week, but that's including the drive up and back so like not too bad and if y-"

       "Alright, stop talking. I'm down. So long as you pay for my gas."

        She looked taken aback by my willingness to go, asking if I was "for realsies." I dramatically finished off my coffee, slammed the mug down on the table, and proclaimed, "Abso-frickin-lutely." Ally squealed and ran to her room, yelling something about going shopping. I smiled to myself as I picked up my coffee mug, walked into the kitchen and put it in the sink. I wonder why she's in such a hurry. Beats me.

         A a small jade plant sat in the kitchen windowsill above the sink, just barely two inches tall; Its mother resides in my room, on my bay window. Other jades of varying sized litter the house, they're an addiction at this point. Ally says that someday she's going to help me convert the basement into a greenhouse, but we haven't had the time (or money). Every time we plan an IKEA trip to give the small space some shelves for my plants, something else comes up. The basement itself is pretty nice, it's just like the rest of the house; we just haven't made it into a room for anything useful. Maybe that'll happen this summer.

       Ally came out of her room, now in a white sundress, yelling at me to go get dressed. I guess her shopping comment was meant for me too. Huh. I waltzed myself into my dinky room and opened the closet, looking for something clean to wear. Wearing pajamas to the store does sound like fun, but last time I did, Ally nearly kicked me out. I pulled out a plain black tee shirt and a pair of bell-legged jeans, figuring that would be more than enough for today. Once I had it on I realized that the pants don't exactly fit... at all. They dropped to the floor, so, in desperation, I yelled for Ally to bring me a belt.