A short story

The Ticket

Adrianna jumped with a start as a herd of cars roared down the busy street. She had jumped so high that her head lightly brushed the ceiling of her small apartment bedroom.

“I hate when that happens!” Adrianna exclaimed as she rubbed her head. She was a small twelve year old with long blondish/ brown colored hair and hazel eyes. As her bedroom was the closest to the main street, Adrianna often woke up to this amount of noise. She hated it. Every time that happened, she would always grit her teeth and throw her pillow over head to block out the horrible sound. Grumbling, Adrianna got out of bed and stomped in the tiny kitchen where her mother was making breakfast.

“Did you sleep alright?” Her mother asked, pausing to look at her. Her mother was a beautiful woman, with flowing chocolate hair and her bright blue eyes.

“Yeah, until the morning rush came ‘round.” Adrianna said grumpily. Her mother’s brow knitted. She hated the fact her daughter had to sleep in the smallest room and had to wake up like that every morning. In fact her mother wish that she could not live in this condition at all, she wished she a ticket out of this place. Suddenly she gasped.

“What?” Adrianna asked looking up at her mother in concern.

“Something came for you in the mail, and I just now only remembered it. Hold on a second.” Her mother said walking out of the room. A moment later, she came back in and handed her daughter the yellowing envelope. Adrianna picked it up with shaky hands. She had never gotten a piece of mail before. In fact, it was like she didn’t exist. At school, she didn’t talk to anyone and worked quietly. At home she didn’t go online or anything social. She just went up to her room and read the same book over and over again. Adrianna opened the ancient, fragile package, slowly, not wanting to damage it. She turned it upside down and shook it. Out fell a tiny faded ticket that landed like a feather on the kitchen table. She picked it up gingerly and flipped it over. The ticket said in faded letters:

Adrianna’s face fell. A ticket. A ticket that went to a place that didn’t exist and expired one hundred and fifteen years previously. She quickly glanced up at her mother who looked worried at her. She thinks I like it, Adrianna thought. She wouldn’t let her mother down. Adrianna beamed at her mother with all her might.

“Thanks mom! I love it!” She lied. In fact she hated it. She got out of her chair, and took the ticket off the table. Adrianna looked back to see her mother smiling and she knew that she actually liked the old ticket. As soon as she got into her room, she threw it on her table and fell onto her bed.

“A ticket…. a bloody ticket.” She mumbled. Adrianna glared at the little piece of paper as if to burn it up with her vision…..