A short story

The trip onward…

The next couple of days, she didn’t look or even think about the ticket once. Adrianna just went to school like normal until the third day when a girl came up to her. This said girl was the most popular girl in school, Maria Camberos. She was giggling with her friends when she came up and asked.

“What are you wearing?” She sneared, jabbing a finger at Adrianna.  Her friends pointed at her shirt and laughed wildly. Adrianna’s shirt was a faded cookie monster t-shirt from when she was younger.

“A shirt.” Adrianna answered smart-like not looking up at her. Maria narrowed her eyes and held up her hand which silenced her group at once.

“How dare you speak to me like that,” Maria said turning away from her adding softly, “You filthy homeless…” Adrianna heard that and with A quick swift movement, she gathered her things and strolled out of class, tears burning in her eyes. When she got home she ran to her room and collapsed onto her bed sobbing.

“I hate this place! I hate the noise, the people, everything!” She cried. “I want to leave, NOW!” As Adrianna screamed these words, the ticket glowed gold and flittered to where she was laying. No sooner had she closed her eyes, that Adrianna found herself couched on the earthen ground of a secluded lagoon. She open her mouth in awe and looked down at the ticket which now read:

“Oh, ok thanks.” Adrianna said to  the little paper. She walked on and saw a silk woven hammock by a little water-fall, that was trickling lazily down a wide rock. Slipping off her shoes, Adrianna sat in the hammock and watched the crystal clear sky above her.

“This is wonderful.” She said quietly. After ten-minutes of this, she decided to pull out her book but then remembered that it was still in her tiny bedroom back home. “That’s too bad. This would have been an excellent place to read.” Adrianna said softly. Suddenly before her eyes a book appeared on her lap. It wasn’t her book, but a new book which in sparkling gold beared the title:

Once Upon A Time

“Hmm...this book fits this little lagoon just lovely.” Adrianna smiled and cracked open the book. Now whenever she was feeling blue, she took hold of the ticket and came to the lagoon and her book would be in the silken hammock, always waiting patiently to be read...