-nine-

Gabe

Kale was still trying to convince me his ma needed his help lately so that's why he hasn't been at the shop helping on the cars. I already knew the truth though, Pepper's been studying with him after school so he can get better grades. I don't know what for. Unless he changed his mind about college or somethin'. 

"Well you better put in some hours on Saturday or Raul ain't gonna pay you," I pulled out my cigarette pack, only three left, and dug for my lighter. Macy emerged from the building and began walking towards her car, her skin glowed in the sunlight. I locked eyes with her and she gave me a sly smile, rolling her eyes but beginning to walk my way. 

Maybe she wanted to discuss the project. 

"I've gotta get going though man, I'll catch up with you later," Kale hurried off down the side walk and around the school, no doubt he'd just go through the back doors so I wouldn't see him going back into school. 

I noticed that Desiree had appeared, standing in Macy's way and even though I wasn't close enough to hear what Desiree was saying, I knew it wasn't good. Macy's face crumpled into a narrow frown and she turned quickly, back in the direction of her car. What the hell was that about? 

"Dez," I grabbed my bag and made my way over to Desiree and her little clique of friends. "what was that all about?"

"What do you mean?" Desiree asked, playing innocent as if I didn't just watch the whole thing. 

"Cut the shit," I nodded for Desiree to step away from her friends so we could talk a little more privately. "what do you have against Macy Stone now?"

"Everything you should have against her!" Desiree crossed her arms and glared up at me. "She's a snotty, rich bitch who just wants to drag you into her drama,"

"Desiree, Macy and I are partners in AP English. We kind of have to talk," Desiree swallowed hard and looked back in the direction where Macy had hurried off in. 

"Still, you don't need that chick's bullshit in your life, the less you're around her the better," Desiree leaned forward and hugged me briefly. "I'm serious, watch your back with the preppy ones,"

I'm sure Desiree's heart was in a good place but sometimes that girl takes things too far. She's always treating me like a little brother, only because she's two weeks older than me. The one thing I never want is to be on Dez's bad side though. 

My phone was suddenly blowing up in my pocket. It was my mom, wondering where I was and when I was going to be home. I should probably head home anyway, I'm sure Izzy was already home but she wouldn't want to deal with the littles by herself. I hopped onto my bike and was heading home within seconds. The interaction between Desiree and Macy was still playing through my mind. 

Izzy was patiently trying to help Lucia with her math homework while scrubbing away at the dishes. Marco was playing on a game-boy that was either one of his friends from school or something he had stolen. 

"Hey, take out the trash would ya?" I asked, pushing Marco's feet off the coffee table while I walked into the kitchen. "Hello my gorgeous sisters,"

"It's about time you get here," Izzy grumbled, keeping her attention on the dishes while I took over for tutoring Lucia. 

"How was school today?" I asked my little sister who looked annoyed. Lucia was 10 years old and in 5th grade, but she reads at a 9th grade level and is well above her class. If I could afford it I'd get her into a private school around here but that's highly unlikely. She also has the attitude of a 17 year old, I blame Izzy for that. 

"Fine but my teacher gave me this homework and I don't understand it," Lucia complained and shoved the papers into my hands. The crap looked like gibberish to me. 

"Sorry kiddo, I'm not an A+ student in the math department," I said and heard Izzy mumble something about not being an A+ student at all but I ignored it. "Have you gone to your teacher for help?" 

"He's too busy with the idiots in my class who cause trouble," She rolled her eyes and snatched the papers back. "Besides, I doubt he even knows how to do these problems,"

"There's always YouTube," I shrugged my shoulders and got up from the table to whack Marco upside the head where he was still sitting on the couch, his feet back to their previous position on top of the coffee table. "Trash, now,"

"What the heck man!" Marco yelled but angrily tossed the game-boy beside him and hopped up to grab the trash. 

"Have you finished your homework like your sister?" I asked my 8 year old brother who glared at me. I already knew what he was going to say. 

"You're not my mom Gabe," Marco tied the bag of trash and went outside to smash it into the garbage can that was already overflowing. 

"I hear you've been seen around Macy Stone a lot," Izzy was finished with the dishes, the shiny clean plates stacked perfectly on the counter to dry, she leaned back against the counter and crossed her arms. "Why are you hanging around someone like her?"

"You've obviously been talking to Dez," I was definitely going to talk to her tomorrow at school. "We're partners for a project in English Izzy,"

Izzy giggled and sat back down next to Lucia to start her own homework. "Good, I was going to say she's way out of your league bro,"

Before I could come up with a smart-ass remark I heard the whining of our baby sister, Natalia, who had just woken from her nap and was waddling towards me. 

"Oh look who finally woke up," Natalia came right to me and held her arms up for me to pick her up. I swooped up my 2 year old sister and snuggled her, showering her face with kisses until she squealed and couldn't stop giggling. "Did you have a good sleep?"

Natalia nodded excitedly, energized and ready to play. She was shy and didn't talk all too much. 

"Dad's home," Marco announced as he walked in through the back door and headed straight for his room. I saw Izzy tense and sit up straighter, working my intently on her homework than before. He always had perfect timing. . . 

The door swung open and slammed against the wall like it always did, there'd be a hole soon enough. He didn't call out to tell us he's home or even welcome us as he walked into the kitchen. His icy gaze fell over us kids while he loosened his neck tie, Lucia and Izzy stayed quiet while both their noses were basically touching their papers and I grabbed a sippy cup for Natalia out of the cupboard. 

"Need more damn beer," He grumbled to himself, dropping his briefcase  and turning to disappear into the living room to watch TV. Most nights he wouldn't move from that seat again, using any of us as his slaves to bring him whatever he needs, mostly mom. 

"Prick," I muttered and Izzy shot me a worried look but I couldn't care less. "Let's go play some soccer," 

As if he heard me, Teo walked through the door in his practice shorts and jersey, carrying his old gym bag and soccer ball. "Hey guys,"

"Dad's home," Lucia said quietly and almost instantly Teo's smile faded. 

"Soccer!" Natalia cheerfully called out, reaching out for Teo's soccer ball. I think Natalia was also going to be a soccer player like Teo was. 

"Let's go play outside," I carried Natalie outside with Teo right behind me. Thankfully Natalie had a little sweater on already because it was a bit chilly outside with fall almost ending.

The weather was starting to get too cold and soon enough we wouldn't be able to get outside to escape our father.