Chapter 4 *Important Author's Note*

Chapter 4

In Derek’s mind there wasn’t anything that beat drinking beers with the guys even though he probably should have gone back to work and finished up his paperwork. Maybe he was exaggerating the whole beer with the guy’s thing because sleeping with Chrissie pretty much blew drinking beer with the guys out of the water.

Derek couldn’t forget his night with Chrissie, but more importantly he didn’t want to. He’d liked her from the moment that he’d met her. The only problem was that for God forsaken reason it was just about impossible for them to get along…

He didn’t want to fight with Chrissie, but there was just something about her that brought out his temper when she rubbed him the wrong way and he didn’t like that. He wanted to keep their spark alive—because they did have one—but he wanted them to argue less and get along more.

He could see them together for the long haul, but if almost every time they saw each other they argued then he couldn’t see them making it. And boy oh boy did he want to be with Chrissie in a real relationship and not her bed buddy whenever she was in town…

“You look like you’re lost in another world,” Brent said as he watched Derek stare into his beer mug.

Derek shook his head to clear his thoughts of Chrissie and then he looked at Brent. “Sorry I got a little lost in my own thoughts for a moment there.”

Brent and Luke both looked at each other and then Luke spoke up. “You wanna talk about it?”

Derek sighed and then chugged down some of his beer. “Chrissie has got me tied up in knots and I don’t know what to do about it.

“When you and Anna got married a couple of months back,” He looked in Brent’s direction and then continued, “Chrissie and I spent the night together and I haven’t been able to get her off of my mind, but we argue like crazy….” Derek trailed off, but he couldn’t stop the blush that made its way up his neck and then turned his cheeks a deep red.

Brent and Luke both patted him on the back. There was a grin on Brent’s face when Derek looked at him. “I knew that there was something between you two. I just can’t believe you’re finally taking an interest in someone.”

“Why can’t you believe that I’m interested in someone?” Derek looked kind of offended

Brent was trying to come up with a good response when Luke spoke up. “It’s just that we never saw you date in high school and even in the past year we’ve never really seen you date or talk about being interested in someone.”

Hearing Luke mention high school brought tons of memories back, memories that Derek wanted to forget. It took him a second but Derek pushed the memories away and got a little bit of his piece of mind back.

Brent nodded in Luke’s direction. “That’s why we keep him around, he can say what I can’t without making me seem like a jackass. So what are you going to do about a relationship with Chrissie?”

Derek shook his head and then spoke. “That’s what I’d like to know. I don’t even know what’s going on between the two of us or how she would even fell about an “us”.”

The three of them all shared a look because they all knew how women could be.

Luke turned towards the bartender and waved him down. “Can I get three shots of whiskey over here?”

The bartender nodded and grabbed three shot glassed. “Do you just want these three or should I keep them coming?”

“Let’s just go with these three for now and then maybe we’ll keep them coming later.” Luke grabbed the three shots and passed two of them to Brent and Derek.