I Know That You and Damon are in Love

Stefan, Trace, and Enzo rescued Caroline from the closet that Elena had locked her in. When they exited the building, Enzo jetted off into the woods. The other three headed back toward the boarding house, wondering where Enzo was headed.

When Damon arrived at Whitmore, he found Elena in the common room of her dorm just like she said. On the table, there was a candlelit dinner for two and a fire going in the fireplace.

"What's going on?" Damon questioned his eyebrow quirked.

"Dinner," Elena said with a shy smile.

"What?"

"I just thought that after out date at Bela's that we needed a follow-up."

"Elena..." he began.

"Sit," she interrupted. "Please." Damon sighed heavily and took a seat. She sat down across from him. "I feel like I'm constantly thanking you but you deserve it," Elena said as she grabbed his hand.

"Elena..." Damon began again but she interrupted again.

"Thank you for being you and helping Bonnie and just being such a...such a strong force in everyone's life."

"Elena you don't have to thank me for that. Any of it."

"I know. I just wanted you to know that..." Elena began but this time Damon interrupted her.

"Elena, shut up!" Damon said raising his voice. She looked at him wide-eyed, but silent. "I don't know what you're doing...what we're doing but I don't want to do it anymore."

"What are you saying?" she asked, shocked.

"I'll admit that when I first got back here, all I wanted was to be with you. It was my main focus, almost to the point of distraction," Damon said. "But there was always something in the back of my mind that couldn't let me get lost in us."

"What was it?" Elena asked.

"Saving Bonnie from that dick Kai," he said pulling his hand out of her grip. "It should have been on your mind too."

"But you and Stefan lied and said Bonnie found peace. What was I supposed to think?"

"I don't know," he whispered. "But when you did find out the truth. Bonnie and getting her home safe should have been the only thing on your mind but it wasn't. It was Lewis or Leonard or whatever that guy's name was and me."

"I..." she began but he shook his head, got up from his chair, got on his knees in front of her on her side of the table and grabbed both of her hands.

"Look, Elena. I need you to really hear me," he said. She was looking into his eyes. "I can't...I don't love you anymore. All of this is beautiful but it was a waste of time. I found love somewhere new and it's a love that didn't have to work for it," Damon said as he wiped a tear from her cheek. "You deserve to be happy. Happy living the life you've made for yourself now. Without me. Go be a doctor, get married, adopt 100 babies," he said fondly, causing her to chuckle through her tears. "but trying to remember what we were isn't doing either of us any good. I know you realize that."

"I don't know what to say," Elena whispered.

"I know you don't know any of what I'm about to say to you but I think you need to hear it," Damon began. "On that night four, well five months ago before Bonnie and I disappeared I came to see in you the crypt. You couldn't hear or see me but I could see you."

"I felt you brush my face," she sniffled. "And brush my hair out of my face."

"I did. You asked me to please not leave you, remember?"