Part 10

"It was a tape recording," the real-estate agent says, apologetically

            "It was a tape recording," the real-estate agent says, apologetically. I mumble inaudibly and lower my head into the pool of bubbles. I have my phone on speaker while I lounge in my bathtub. It has been a long but productive week of wrapping up furniture and putting my belongings into moving boxes. Soon I will be able to depart from my old apartment.

            There is a short pause on the opposite line before the real-estate agent bombards me with personal questions. "How's your family?"

            I don't mind answering since we are close. "They're fine. Mom calls me often since she's not used to having no more kids in the house."

            "How about work?"

            "I'm expecting a whole batch of elementary kids at the art gallery on Monday so I gotta brace myself."

            "How are your projects going?"

            "I have to admit that writing novels are harder than expected. Might shorten it to a novella if I'm truly uncertain of my capabilities."

            "You still go to any social gatherings?"

            "I've substituted a lot of them with therapy groups instead."

            "Relationships?"

            "Well . . . I'm sure you can guess my answer."

            I picture the real-estate agent smiling with a knowing expression on her face. I have a long way to go before my dreams can be easily plucked from the sky so, naturally, I am not ready to go into another path of life.

            "By the ways, I tried contacting Steven and Marcella Scythe about the tape recording but haven't gotten an answer yet. I feel bad about the whole situation startling you though. I know you won't consider that house anymore so how about—"

            "I'll take it."

            "What? Are you serious?"

            "Yes. I'll buy Edwine Scythe's apartment."

            I end the call after another minute, wrapping myself in a bathrobe to depart from my moment of relaxation. I walk into my living room, shortly after. The sun sets as slowly as my hair is drying and I peer out into the city. Once my eyes find the Scythe's apartment building, a smile uplifts my face. It is finally time to make a story of my own.